Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping Axolotl Larvae

kmayberry

Reaction score
Hi! My babies are ready to be shipped soon! I just have a couple questions, since I have never shipped axolotls before.
I am planning to ship them USPS Priority Flat Rate. I am going to package them in breather bags filled completely with water. I am going to package them in styrofoam containers to insulate them, and fill the extra space with packing peanuts so it doesn't move around, but oxygen is still able to get into the breather bag. There will be only 1 axolotl per bag, to prevent them from nipping at eachother.
My biggest question is that I have read multiple times that people will fast their axolotls for 3 days before shipping them, to help limit waste. How long can a baby axolotl go without food? That seems like a very long time to me! Will they be fine not having food for 5 full days?
Also, does anyone have experience with the breather bags? Should I still double-bag the axolotl?
My axolotls will be 4 months old at the time of shipping.
Any advice is very appreciated!! I absolutely love my axolotl babies, and want them to be safe in the shipping process!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!