Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Young axolotl impacted/constipated?

terracotta

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently acquired a young axolotl. He's around an inch to an inch and a half long. Prior to now, he's been living on sand. He's been accepting food since I got him, around 3-5 bloodworms each time I offer. He hasn't been accepting food less (I think he's actually become more eager to feed) I have, however noticed, that he hasn't pooped more than twice that I can see since I got him (almost exactly 2 weeks ago.) I am including a picture to demonstrate what he looks like. He's been moved to a small food container (about a gallon of conditioned temperate water)

I had noticed he appeared to be blowing on the sand or something like that? I believe he may have been eating it. Could this be constipation or impaction? If so, what should I do to help him? He is still active and has not thrown up or refused food. I'm just concerned by the combination of him possibly ingesting sand and having not pooped. As you can see from the picture, there are two dark blobs near his lower gut. I apologize that the picture really isn't very clear. Hopefully it will be detailed enough. I may be able to capture something more substantial tomorrow.

Thank you for any help!

http://imgur.com/lhquIO9

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
He's too small to be on sand, it could cause impaction. Wait till he's 4 inches+ to use a sand substrate. It's easier to raid juveniles in large food containers with daily water changes especially since it makes feeding so much easier. 3-5 blood worms is hardly anything, juveniles will eat a lot, feed as much as you can everyday as many times as you can.

If he has ingested sand he should pass it while in the new container. When going back to the sand substrate feed on a plate to avoid eating sand.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/axolotlchris/albums/axolotl/38040-ax8/

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Chris is correct. As an additional note, your axie may have pooped more often than you realize. Often, the poops deteriorate quickly when the axies are small.

Klakasharkie

Reaction score
When my axolotl was that small, I believe it only pooped twice a week or so-- it could be constipated, as well, but they don't really poo that much if I recall correctly. Mine- now both adults- only really poo once a week or so

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1