Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bleeding or breeding

B

ben

Hi all, longtime since i posted but i'm having a bit of a panic about my sirens, one has developed the huge jaw muscles around it's head so i'm calling that one the male the other two are still fairly slender, however in the last week one has began to gain weight quickly. has any body else seen this in the females, is it likely to be egg production or just a nasty cist?

Ben Baker

E

edward

Hi Ben,
The large jaw muscles are normal in males, the weight gain, could be egg production but as you noticed it could be something else. I would lean toward egg development given that the male matured first.

Ed

J

jennifer

I think there would be a difference in appearance between egg development and a cyst. Is the enlargement symmetrical and over what length of the body? Another possibility would be bloat, but I hope it's not that.

B

ben

The swelling seems fairly uniform, heaviest towards the mid section of the body, certainly not like a single lump more like the visible ovulation you get in snakes, i'm hopeful anyway. I'm going to spend this weekend collecting some river shrimp as a treat for them and then a nice water change. Anyone got any suggestions about spawning triggers?
Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!