The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 16th December 2008   #1
Kira
(kira)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information
Default Emergency axie food!!!

My axies live off a stable diet off earthworms which I dig up from my garden. The problem is that lately it has been so very very hot and dry where I am that earthworms at home have become very very scarce!!!!!

So I went down to my local pet shop (which I know sells live food) and found that they are out of everything execpt superworms (see the link below). So I thought, bugger!! I talked to the guy there and he has ordered in more worms but they woon't be in until after Christmas. So I grabbed the superworms because Slimey and Squishy have not had much to eat in the last fortnight and almost nothing in a week (I have been away too).

If I cut off the superworms heads and cut them up into small pieces, my juvies should be okay with them for a week???

http://www.piscesenterprises.com/joo...id=54&Itemid=1

Old 16th December 2008   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Emergency axie food!!!

Do your pet shops have frozen bloodworms? These might be better than superworms, though they might mess up the tank. Beyond that, you can use beef heart or even lean meat as an occasional meal (but it shouldn't be a staple). Or perhaps a good quality pellet food?

Old 16th December 2008   #3
Kira
(kira)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information

Actually, the shop normally has a lot off good foods, however they seem to be out of most of them today!!

Unfortunately, Squishy won't eat bloodworms anymore and neither will go near the pellets (the are way too hard I think and when soaked they still don't soften up).

Old 17th December 2008   #4
geodaryl
(geodaryl)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: geodaryl has started on the right path

try prawns or mussels.... you can buy them frozen from supermarkets and defrost them and cut them up if needed. mine love that...

geodaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008   #5
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Hi Kira!

Mealworms are ok for the time being but not as a staple (but you know that). You can crush or remove their heads but I don't think it's necessary to cut them up; they are pretty small, aren't they?

Have you tried a bait shop for worms? That's where I get mine.

If you have access to a garden you can also find lots other of yummy things like crickets and woodlice. (Warning: crickets float! and swim to the side and jump out! You have to feed them with a tweezers or your hand.)

Caudata Care has a good article on types of foods:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Again, you can find lots of things in a garden, and in a pinch you can use "human" food like pieces of heart or liver or small bits of fish filet. Caudata Care also has an article on the nutritional value of various foods, which is helpful because you may find things your axolotls like and want to make them a permanent part of their varied diet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

Good luck and enjoy your summer - it's cold here!

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008   #6
Kira
(kira)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Thanks I forgot about crickets!! I already have some for my geckos (I bought the mealworms!!)

Oh well, I am getting some yummy earthworms on Monday (YAY).

Old 25th December 2008   #7
Nattles88

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: Nattles88 has started on the right path

i have used mealworms as backup food cus where i live they live for ages in their container. just make a bit of a mess when they come out of the other end though, i think it is because they cant digest the wormies outer skin, i think

Nattles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008   #8
Jacquie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattles88 View Post
i have used mealworms as backup food cus where i live they live for ages in their container. just make a bit of a mess when they come out of the other end though, i think it is because they cant digest the wormies outer skin, i think
Hi Nattles,

Mealworms should only ever be fed as an occasional treat as they are very fatty, offer little nutrition and can be hard to digest due to their hard shell. Sometimes as you've noticed, they pass through totally intact and undigested.

Mealworms should also be decapitated before being fed to an axolotl as they have strong mandibles capable of chewing through the axolotl's internals.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, emergency, food, food!!!