Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Xenopus laevis health problems

thomas

Reaction score
We keep Xenopus laevis. They have got health problems at the moment. They look like baloons. Does anyone know what the cause is and how to solve the problem? Some of them have also swollen sacks close to the legs...looks like close to the lymph region. Does anyone know what type of problem it is and how to solve it.

I am grateful for any answer or help.

Sincerely
/Thomas

69367.jpg

J

joan

They look normal to me, if not well-fed.

Regardless, this belongs in the frog forum.

A

andy

Looking at the pics they look normal to me...
If your worried about these swollen sacs near the legs try and take a picture for us.
As for them looking like balloons...they look slim compared to this monster!

69374.jpg

69375.jpg

J

jennifer

I will move this thread to the frog section of the forum. Thomas, please post a reply, so I know you saw this.

thomas

Reaction score
Hi!

If you look at my picture in the upper right corner, you will se the same type of shape with sacs and swollen body.

Does anyone know what to do with this and what it is?

Cheers
Thomas

thomas

Reaction score
This is the similar type of look according to me =)

I am grateful for any kind of help with this type of problem.

Sincerely

/Thomas
69542.jpg
69543.jpg
69544.jpg

E

edward

With this monitor the frog simply looks fat but you could have a vet do a work up to be sure.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on August 27, 2006)

thomas

Reaction score
The swollen sacs are suitiated were this species have their lymphs. I is not simply that the animal is fat. They are extremely swollen and some have sacs and some are not swollen and do not have sacs by the lymphs. They have all been fed by the same type of diet. I have tried a vet but the vet couldn´t tell so I turned my focus towards this forum instead.

Cheers
Thomas

Genghis

Reaction score
We keep Xenopus laevis. They have got health problems at the moment. They look like baloons. Does anyone know what the cause is and how to solve the problem? Some of them have also swollen sacks close to the legs...looks like close to the lymph region. Does anyone know what type of problem it is and how to solve it.

I am grateful for any answer or help.

Sincerely
/Thomas

Thomas, it looks like they have dropsy (bloating disease). It's a bacterial infection they can pick up from various sources or it can be caused by problems in diet and water condition. It makes them retain water. I have a frog with advanced dropsy that I got as a rescue case. We are treating her with baytril (antibiotic) and have isolated her and put her in a salt water environment to get rid of some of the water build up under the skin (on vets advice). You can also try an Anti Internal Bacterial treatment for tropical fish. Best bet is to see a professional though. Hope this helps a bit!

martintruckenbrodt

Reaction score
Hello,
IMO the frogs of thomas (newton) are not looking like ill frogs. Check the link to my website. There are detailed information for a treatment of ill frogs too. I've collected all information I got since 2001 and made a summary of it.

Bye Martin

xenopus

Reaction score
I'd say
scaredycatwdropsy.jpg
bloatingdisease.jpg
bloatedfrognewalbino.jpg
this is dropsy ( look like tennis balls)
69542.jpg
this is your guy ( on the one to many worms side of HEALTHY)(not like a tennis ball)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!