Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help! Is this a fungus?

hacelepues

Reaction score
SMY9N.jpg

Zpnjv.jpg

I just noticed this white stuff hanging off of Bowies skin just below his mouth. It doesn't look cottony, more like a flap of skin to be honest, but I'm not sure. There are small red dots on his skin where this flap is attached.

Do axolotls shed? Or maybe he injured himself while swimming about? Or is this a fungus?

Sorry about the bad pics.

lea

Reaction score
Yes axies shred. I would check your water to make sure everything is ok and keep an eye on bowie. A teabath is good for soothing shredding skin if he continues to shred or it gets worse.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. He seems fine. His appetite was huge tonight. I'll check the water and keep an eye on him though.

hacelepues

Reaction score
he is a very cute boy.

Aw thankyou. He's a sweetie. Always kiss- I mean biting my fingers.

The flap fell off at some point last night. He's still acting normal and the area looks ok. Still a few red dots. I'll continue to keep an eye on him.

(Also, I'm suspecting he might end up being a girl haha)

lea

Reaction score
Im glad things have turned out ok. If you put up a picture of bowie's rear legs area we will be able to have a look and see what sex he/she really is.....from the pic you put up he lokks like a girl to me....need a better pic to be sure tho

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1