Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Curled Gills and Tail Questions

Huskar

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have two axolotls and they are growing really fast and eats very very well and right now one of them's tail is curled and the other one's gills are curled but not the tail and I was wondering what causes their gills and tail to curl? Does water temperature and non-direct sunlight cause their gills and tail tips to curl? Is there any other causes for their gills to curl besides water flow/water movements?

Thank you for taking time reading this! Hope for answers!

sully

Reaction score
its caused by stress. so perhaps the temperature is too high or there's an inbalance in the water qualities. i would get your water tested either way just to be sure. if you dont have a testing kit you can take a water sample to any petsmart and they will do a free testing.

allied123

Reaction score
Petsmart usually just tests with inaccurate testing strips... (which could be somewhat correct but usually aren't) I agree you should test your water preferably with a liquid test kit and make sure the temp is low enough. But if they're full grown it might (emphasis on might, if you think the curled gills aren't how they normally are then it probably isn't normal!) just be how they are.

I have one white albino whose gills are always slightly curled forward (his gills are maybe a little bigger, hard to tell) and a melanoid golden albino whose gills are perfectly straight and they're from the same clutch I believe (bought them from the same breeder at the same time) but again up until they were like 4-6 months both their gills were straight back

gertrude

Reaction score
Sounds like a ph balance within your tank. Fridge the Axies for a night or so. Put them in UNTREATED simple spring water you can buy at any grocery. I perfer Zepherhills. Fridge them in the tupperware with the spring water. Change/ add spring water to the tank. The spring water is perfectly balanced. I had the same issue with an axie who was about a month and a half old, he was so delicate the ph imbalance couldn't be reversed. So I recommend doing this as soon as you possibly can and maybe even changing out the tank water or majority of it with the spring water.

Huskar

Reaction score
Currently my water test shows that there is no ammonia, no nitrite but little nitrate around 5, also water hardness is at around 150 and total alkalinity is at 40 and ph at 7.8

my tank setup is 40 gallon tank with fluval 406 with 30 inch spray connected with 1/10 hp aquaeuro chiller. For filter media I have basic foams on the bottom tray and other baskets are filled with biohome ultimate which is about a little over 3kg. I keep my water temperature between 60f~64f, the chiller automatically goes Into safe mode and the water temp goes up few degrees and then chills again so the temperature goes up and down every hour...

Im new to axolotl setup and i'm not sure what else i need to watch for when it comes to water quality, What other things are there to look at?

allied123

Reaction score
Don't refrigerate your axolotl every time you get the hint that something's wrong and never do it for only 1-2 days. the temperature change is really stressful for them and should only be done when the situation calls for it. The ph is a little on the high side but perfectly within an acceptable range (I believe that the acceptable range is 6-8 but a higher ph makes ammonia have a more negative effect on the axies but someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% sure now). I'm honestly not sure about the alkalinity or anything of that sort so hopefully someone else can comment on that but your temperature and no ammonia or nitrites and under 40 nitrates are perfect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1