Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Most effective/cost efficient water chiller?

Pandisaurus

Reaction score
With the weather warming up, I think it may be time to pick up a water chiller for my juvenile axie. I've had an aquarian fan over my 10 gallon tank, shes in the basement away from sunlight, and when I came home she was around 68 degrees, which makes me nervous considering it's only may.
Does anyone have any experience with water chillers? I found a few on amazon that looked inexpensive but I'd rather hear from you guys. How do you keep your axies cool during the summer months?

GeoludvikIV

Reaction score
Somewhere in the vicinity of "North America"
With the weather warming up, I think it may be time to pick up a water chiller for my juvenile axie. I've had an aquarian fan over my 10 gallon tank, shes in the basement away from sunlight, and when I came home she was around 68 degrees, which makes me nervous considering it's only may.
Does anyone have any experience with water chillers? I found a few on amazon that looked inexpensive but I'd rather hear from you guys. How do you keep your axies cool during the summer months?
I have been recently viewing some info on water chillers. Depending on the tank size, it can cost up to $300+. As you have mentioned your tank is ten gallons, and after some research I have found this: https://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Microchiller-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html ; I know the price is high, although other chillers are ridiculously expensive and basically overkill, and others will only lower a 10-gallon aquarium's temperature by 1-3 degrees (negligible, could get a greater cooling power from a fan-setup). For a 10 gallon aquarium the above link could be what you're looking for, albeit with a fairly steep price tag. Another solution could be to just buy an efficient air conditioner. Personally, I have a 55 gallon aquarium running a $250 water chiller, which in conjunction with constant frozen water bottles help keep the tank at around 58-63 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months.

Hope this helps you in the struggle of cooling an aquarium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!