Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of Newt/Sal(s) do you have?

What species of Newt/ Sal(s) do you have?

• Axolotl

Votes: 98 38.4%
  • Tiger Salamander (all types)

Votes: 51 20.0%
  • Rough-Skinned Newt/California Newt (Taricha spp.)

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • Notophthalmus spp.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • Plethodontids

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • Paddletail or Warty Newt (Pachytriton/Paramesotriton)

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Tylototriton verrucosus

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • other Tylototriton

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • Chinese Firebelly (Cynops orientalis)

Votes: 67 26.3%
  • Other cynops

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • Fire Salamanders (Salamandra salamandra spp.)

Votes: 38 14.9%
  • Sharp-ribbed newts (Pleurodeles spp.)

Votes: 39 15.3%
  • Neurergus spp.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • Marbled Newts (Triturus marmoratus)

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Alpine Newts (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton alpestris)

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Other crested newts (Lissotriton, Triturus, Ommatotriton)

Votes: 45 17.6%
  • Other Native North America

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Other Native European

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other Native Asian

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what are the most popular/commonly owned species. Please check on whatever species you have, and if it's not specific enough and you want to elaborate, write a comment!

I'll go first; I have 11 species.

jaster

Reaction score
As of now, I have a larvae Gyrinophilus porphyriticus danielsi and a pair of adult Plethodon cheoah. I have had the larvae for over a year now and it has a while to go still....

I really want to try and breed the P. cheoah, but they are separated for now.

Slimy2

Reaction score
I have Necturus maculosus and Ambystoma annulatum right now, but I have kept several Plethodontids and Cynops in the past.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Cool Poll! :D
2 Ambystoma Tigrinum
2 Tylototriton Shanjing
2 Paramesotiton Hongkongensis
1 Pachytriton Labiatus

Jake

Reaction score
I have a few newts right now. Nothing much just:

Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus
I.a.inexpectatus
Triturus marmoratus
T.carnifex
T.dobrogicus
T.d.macrosomus
T.cristatus
T.karelinii
Lissotriton helveticus
L.vulgaris ampelensis
L.v.vulgaris
Pleurodeles waltl
Pachytriton labiatus
Hynobius dunni
Hynobius tsuensis
Cynops orientalis
C.cyanurus
C.ensicauda popei
Taricha granulosa
Notophthalumus viridescens viridescens
Eurycea bislineata
Plethedon cinereus
Desmognathus fuscus
D.ochrophaeus
Pseudotriton ruber ruber
Ambystoma mexicanum
A.maculatum
A.opacum
A.tigrinum

...other caudates (Dawn, I'm upset this poll left out the under appreciated species of caudates:( jk)
Herpele multiplicata
Pseudobranchus a. axanathus

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I'm surprised already at how many people keep mulitple species.

I currently have 57 species so I don't think I have the room or patience to list them all.:rolleyes:

Joost

Reaction score
You can see what species I keep, on my profile. I try this much, to collect animals with locality data, esspecially of C. pyrrhogaster

regards Joost

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With only 20 (max) options, I had to compact them as best I could, and of course it is "tainted" by what I keep and what I consider most popular...I'm sure anyone who would write the poll would choose different options. No one has to list their species if they don't want to, but make sure you click off all the appropriate boxes!
But if you check any of the "Other" boxes I'm curious to know what they are.

Jake, in addition to all those turtles, you have all these newts? Yikes!

Last edited:

aramcheck

Reaction score
So far;

3.2.0 Triturus marmoratus
0.2.0 Salamandra salamandra terrestris
0.0.11 Tylototriton verrucosus

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That makes me think I should have done a separate poll for what Europeans vs North Americans own. But this will do for now! I'm surprised how many people own marms.

freves

Reaction score
I noticed that "taint" when you listed verrucosus separately from the other tylo's. I would expect T. shanjing to be more commonly kept here in the US because of all of the imports. I am sure that this situation could be very different in other parts of the world however.
Chip

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm....my guess was that T. verr would be more common because they seem easier to captive breed. But I didn't realize imports of them were so common..

Jake

Reaction score
With only 20 (max) options, I had to compact them as best I could, and of course it is "tainted" by what I keep and what I consider most popular...I'm sure anyone who would write the poll would choose different options. No one has to list their species if they don't want to, but make sure you click off all the appropriate boxes!
But if you check any of the "Other" boxes I'm curious to know what they are.

Jake, in addition to all those turtles, you have all these newts? Yikes!

I'm proud to say my "Other" caudates are some of my favorites!

Yes Dawn, I do keep a few newts and a few turtles, I believe the word you were looking for is "Yay!!", not "yikes"! Lol! It's fun to surround yourself with the wonders of the world (if you have the time and desire), I don't see a trip to Europe or Asia in my near future, and pictures of the animals don't show you just how interactive they are with their surroundings so I do the next best thing;).

That makes me think I should have done a separate poll for what Europeans vs North Americans own. But this will do for now! I'm surprised how many people own marms.
T.marmoratus are the most commonly kept Triturus, even though some people still charge a LOT for them, they're surprisingly easy to get to breed and you can raise them accidentally if you do everything right! I see c.b. marms replacing the pathetic imported orientalis in the future, just give it a few years!

I noticed that "taint" when you listed verrucosus separately from the other tylo's. I would expect T. shanjing to be more commonly kept here in the US because of all of the imports. I am sure that this situation could be very different in other parts of the world however.
Chip
Chip is absolutely right. T.shanjing (and kweichowensis to an extent) are imported in ridiculous quantities and a lot of people who normally wouldn't keep newts are drawn to their attractive coloration.

While it's true you have a knack for raising the verrucosus in quantity, other people selling the c.b. juveniles for insane prices in this poor economy discourages many newtists from purchasing them. Plus, you can buy a full grown T.shanjing for less than some c.b. newt vendors sell the juveniles for which encourages more w.c. sales and less captive bred:(
The only solution is to buy your newts straight from the breeder and not from people who want to profit off of the hard work of other people who actually care about the animals (don't just have a price on their heads) and keep the adults healthy enough to breed and raise the offspring. Though some people selling those high priced newts pose as breeders, but in reality are just greedy liars with "newt budgets" and not breeding groups...look out everyone!:( :(

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hmmmmm....my guess was that T. verr would be more common because they seem easier to captive breed. But I didn't realize imports of them were so common..

Hi Dawn,
I think if you check around their aren't a lot of T. verrocusus in the U.S. other than the line I imported and the animals you and I produced from that line. Their are lots of w.c. T. shanjing imported every year. I think their are more C.B. shanjing being produced in the U.S. than T. verrocusus. C.B. well maintained animals from a disease free source will always be worth more than w.c. Captive bred animals from a collection that is not disease free are as bad or worse than w.c. It's important to not get obsessive and keep no more animals than you can manage.

Jake

Reaction score
Hi Dawn,
I think if you check around their aren't a lot of T. verrocusus in the U.S. other than the line I imported and the animals you and I produced from that line. Their are lots of w.c. T. shanjing imported every year. I think their are more C.B. shanjing being produced in the U.S. than T. verrocusus. C.B. well maintained animals from a disease free source will always be worth more than w.c. Captive bred animals from a collection that is not disease free are as bad or worse than w.c. It's important to not get obsessive and keep no more animals than you can manage.

It's better to be obsessive than to be greedy and see $$$ when you look at a living creature. It is also hard to imagine that any truly "disease free" collections even exist. Just because your animals may seem healthy doesn't mean they're not carrying a list of pathogens longer than your availability list. Guess what? ALL c.b. animals came from w.c. animals somewhere along the line and diseases are passed onto the offspring, that doesn't mean they're all doomed;)

Purchasing animals from Dawn to resell as your own does NOT count as "producing" them.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, boys, play nice or as a moderator I'll EDIT you.

I admire and respect both of you. In point of fact, though, Michael has indeed bred T. verr, or else where would I have gotten Eddie and Elektra?

Jake

Reaction score
OK, boys, play nice or as a moderator I'll EDIT you.

I admire and respect both of you. In point of fact, though, Michael has indeed bred T. verr, or else where would I have gotten Eddie and Elektra?

From a guy named Craig Cameron in Canada!

freves

Reaction score
I always thought that those verrocosus' were from the 'Britts Amphibians' fiasco some years back.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!