Colorless Patch of Skin?

lilyoel

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl has had, as long as I can remember (he's about 10 months old) had a white patch of skin on the bottom of his neck. I was recently able to get a good picture of it, and it appears to be colorless and possibly a bit recessed. Is this something I should be worried about, a scar from a previous injury, or just part of his natural skin pattern?

It should be mentioned that he had a really rough time with an infection last summer, which I treated successfully with about a month, or month and a half of continuous tubbing, daily water changes, and black tea added to the water. He lost all his gill feathers and gill appendages from this infection but has, since treatment, regrown a good amount of gill structures.

The white patch in question existed long before this infection, as far as I can remember. I will go over my old pictures and see if I can find one of the patch from back then, but the attached picture is only a few days old.
Edit: Found an old picture, and it looks like the his entire belly was unpigmented, which leads me to think the neck patch may be the last portion of skin to mature. What do you think?

Attachments

• skin patch.PNG
    skin patch.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
  • baby yoel.PNG
    baby yoel.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
If it's not changing and he's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back