Axolotl was attacked and his leg is coming off!

ErinF

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This axolotl was attacked by a large fish and I have no idea how to save him!

His two back legs are broken (obviously) he ate a worm yesterday but won't touch his food today.

Im super upset the fish was put in with him so the fish has been moved and I've just isolated him to a floating fry tank just to keep an eye on him better.

*note he is a rescue and has been through a lot he is thin but he eats worms and daphnia daily*

Attachments

• _20180928_083804.JPG
    _20180928_083804.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 178
Hi Erin! I'll try and help you out as best I can. First of all, I would highly reccomend putting Almond Leaves into your axie's water, or giving him a tea bath. It helps to speed up the healing process. You can find almond leaves for pretty cheap online. Usually tea baths are given for minor skin problems, but if you don't have almond leaves on hand then I would recommend giving your axolotl one. I would say removing his legs is the best option, if possible. It looks to me like they are in pretty bad condition, and it would be so much easier and less stressful for your axolotl to regenerate the legs rather than healing from two bad breaks. You could either take him to the vet to get it done or do it yourself if you feel comfortable. I can post a link with instructions. Does your axolotl seem to be showing any signs of stress- a curled tail or forward turned gills? What are your water parmeters and temperatures at? How long have you had him for, and what types of worms have you been feeding him?

Thank you so much for responding. I don't have any almond leaf they are all in my shrimp tanks. What sort of tea should I use?

My housemate is a biologist but he said he isn't comfortable amputating him so I will have to do it myself.

I'm not at home but I'll test the water as soon as I'm home but the tank is sitting at 16°c 18°c the highest the past few days. His tail is curled :(

They are just normal earth worms.

For a tea bath you should use black tea without any added aroma. Here is a link with more information- https://axolotlcity.com/tea-baths/

Another option that I would recommend is fridging your axolotl for a few days. Here is a link for that too - https://axolotlcity.com/fridging-guide/
If you are going to amputate, I would recommend fridging beforehand.

Here are instructions on how to amputate. First of all put your axolotl in a small container and leave him in the dark where he can calm down while you are preparing. Put on latex gloves and rinse them thoroughly then rinse them again in aquarium water removed from your tank. Slide your hand under him and wait untill he relaxes on your hand. Once relaxed, gently pin his toes with your thumb and have the scissors ready in your other hand - when he squirms the leg should straighten and you can carefully but quickly snip just above the dislocated or broken area on his leg. Be sure your scissors are sharp and well cleansed. It is harder than it sounds and if you don't feel comfortable doing it than I wouldnt reccomend it. For the stress, it would help to keep your axolotl in a dark area without much water movement. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Hi! I just wanted to give you an update about Moon he has grown his legs back and has super fluffy gills now. He's so healthy, thank you so much for your help :)

Attachments

• DSC_0839.jpg
    DSC_0839.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 133
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back