Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
Hi everyone,

a friend of mine got some serious problems with her axolotls and the vets over here seem to be helpless (although she visited a vet with lots of experience on amphibia), so hopefully one of you might have any helpful idea.

The case is the following:
The axolotls are infected with two kinds of parasites (chilodonella and trichodina) and a fungus (Dermocystidium). Normally these pathogens infect fishes so we assume that she introduced them with some pond-plants.
They have been bathed in Toltrazuril (one hour a day for 9 days) and Methylene blue (for 3 days up to now) without success. The axolotls get weaker every day.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of infection and might propose a medication?

Thanks, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Have salt baths been tried? I did some google searches for these parasites (as I am not familiar with them). Here is one thing I found regarding salt treatments for both of those parasites:
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/AS/AS-458.pdf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back