Commercial products did it work?

mitchell101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mitchell
Heyy,
I recently bought these products not knowing if they would work or not but i gave them i try. Here are the results.
I tested just over a week ago with the API freshwater Master Test Kit and got these results. (before use of products)

Ammonia - 4.0

Nitrite - 5

Nitrate - 40

pH - 6.8

Go to this link to see what i bought and about the discussion so far, http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59598

I use the products one week after i tested the water which was yesterday. I now have tested the water again just now and the results are

Ammonia - .50

Nitrite - 1

Nitrate - 0

pH - 7.2

I'm not saying these results are accurate because it was a week before i used the products that i tested the water so the water may have changed a lot but this seems to be a great improvement in 1 week.
I will test again and give the results tomorrow.

I hope i have covered everything.
Mitch.

Hi Mitchell,

What an interesting experiment. I know there are a lot of other variables and confounders that can affect the rate of your tank's cycling process. However, i would say it seems that there is quite a significant marked improvment, especially just for over a one week duration.

Thank you for sharing with us of your findings. Great work.

As mentioned in my other thread, i was planning on some experiments on my own. I would take perform a hanging drop (for motile bactetria), culture, biochemistry testing, gram stain and microscopy on some of the commercial culture starter kit. I would also post my findings here with photos.

I am not pro or against the use of culture starters/accelerators but i think if we present our experimental findings neutrally. People can make up their own minds about the issue.

Cheers.

I thought this was a great change in just a week as well.
I'm going to continue to use the products and see how they go.
I'll keep you posted with the results.
Mitch.

I tested again today and Ammonia has dropped a further .25 and Nitrite by .5
Just a question when using the product, it says use it once a week, do i use it during water changes as well? I did this today when i did a water change then tested the water after.

Hi Mitchell,

Its really interesting because the further drop in ammonia and nitrates just overnight is really quite rapid.

I think the directions were to top up with the product on a weekly basis. I personally don't see how using a bit of it during a water change would cause any harm. It may not be necessary though, i think it makes it an overall more costly investment since you use it much quicker.

Thank you for keeping us posted of your findings.

Cheers

I want to use it quick though because i want to go and buy the Prime. Not using the bacteria (if there is some in there) would just be a waste. And i want to get Prime because I've nearly finished my dechlorinator because it is very old.
Mitch.

Side note: It doesn't make much sense to measure the water values after a water change. To know what is going on in your tank, you should measure the tank water beforehand. ;)

-Eva

Thanks. I will test before i change the water tomorrow.

Oh, i think i misunderstood you. It is absolutey fine, in fact encouraged, to use a dechlorinator during each water change. I initially thought you were referring to the culture starter.

Some dechlorinators also can get rid of ammonia and nitrites so i am not surprised in that case if your parameter readings plummet a bit thereafter its use.

Cheers

Just to add that it'll save you a fortune in the long run if you treat the water with dechlorinator before you add it to the tank. You might be doing this already but that way you won't be adding a full-system dose everytime..

No you didn't misunderstand me. I was talking about adding the bacteria during a water change. When i finish the bacteria or when my dechlorinator runs out i will go and buy prime which dechlorinates the water and gets rid of ammonia and nitrites. I am using dechlorinator and bacteria during water changes.

Also in two tests that i did recently i tested Nitrate wrong, i was shacking the test tube instead of the bottle which stuffed up my results. Nitrate is actually at 20. Don't worry all other tests i am doing correct. Ammonia is still .25 but Nitrite is down to .25 now as well. pH is still at 7.2 which is perfect.
Mitch.

Thanks for the update Mitchell. I think you would make a great scientist someday.

Cheers;)

I don't like science... but that's just because i have a bad teacher. I want to be a VET when I'm older though. Thanks for your comment.
Mitch.

Ammonia is now on 0. Nitrite still .25 and Nitrate now on 10. Tomorrow I am due to use the product again.
Mitch.

Well done Mitchell & thanks for sharing your results.

Great work mate !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back