Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proteus anguinus parkelj

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these in captivity (the nominate subspecies too)? Im pretty interested in this species, the subspecies especially. Does anyone have any information on this sub? I havent found anything about them except for the fact that this subspecies has pigmentation and more developed eyes. I'm just curious.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never heard of any olms in captivity in the USA. I believe there are a few in Europe, but the species is threatened and strictly protected. I saw one (nominate) held for display for tourists in a cave in Slovenia. To avoid stressing the animal to death, they hold one for a week, then rotate it with another one from the population.

globalamphibians.org has a few details about parkelj beyond that.

Newtility

Reaction score
Olms

Hi guys,

there is no sense at all in keeping proteus in captivity. Their lethal temperature maximum is around 10-12 °C, they can not stand light or even the slightest pollution of water, so there are none at all in Europe (legally) in any private hands or zoos to my knowledge. Generalized it is simply impossible to offer appropriate conditions for them to even survive. Of course one could with a huge amount of technical installations such as A/C, filtering etc. But there won´t be any permit for collecting them nor a good chance for them to survive transportation. Compared, a hellbender is a pond newt.

There are some northamerican species looking very similar to proteus and are said by friends to be well for captive maintenance such as Typhlotriton.

Steffen

Koolasuchus

Reaction score
Re: Olms

Hello, I studied olms for a small time, and found out that they are actually somewhat closely related to Necturus (Mudpuppies) and I assume that a albino mudpuppy would look very similar. And with the black olms, it is said that they are found in underground drainage ditches more commonly than the regular olms. thanks for posting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!