Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank set up

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at getting an axolotl towards the end of the year,
I'm still pretty early into the research phase and was hoping to get some feedback on my hypothetical setup.

So for the tank itself, I'm looking at something that's about 2ft long, with a mesh lid, and a fan something like this ( Cooling Fan six head 12V | Guppy's Aquarium Products Online ) it can get up to 40 degrees here so I'm thinking that i'll need it.

For substrate a mix of fine sand and really large river stones.

Also I'm hoping to have it semi planted, with some marimo moss balls, mosses and other low light plants. I was maybe going to either keep them in their pots or attach them to some driftwood. I know that you can't really dose with CO2, so any plant suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm not too sure about lighting wattage and stuff, or what setup is best, any recommendations are appreciated.

Still working out the details of cycling, but im planning on cycling for 6 weeks, with no fish, then if the ammonia/nitrate levels are right i'll add in the axolotl.

Would this kit be suitable? https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/api-master-freshwater-test-kit.html

Thanks for any advice :)

LippyNix

Reaction score
Congrats on doing your research! It helps to know what you're getting into.:)
Tank size and set-up sound fine for one axie. I have low light plants in my tank, including java moss, java fern, marimo moss balls, moneywort and anubias. Some cryptocorynes and other mosses are also good choices. I have a standard fluorescent bulb and fixture that doesn't bother the axies and gives the plants some light.
REALLY large river stones are fine, but I'd make sure they're at least twice the size of your axie's heads just to be safe.
Your cycling plan sounds good. The test kit you show is good, but that link seems overpriced, even considering the USD to AUD exchange rate. Perhaps that's just how aquarium products are priced there. This is in USD, but you can see how much cheaper it is https://smile.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-800-Test-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504233950&sr=8-1&keywords=api+master+freshwater+test+kit
I hope this helps and good luck with your research!
P.S.
There's a ton of axolotl groups on facebook and several are specific to Australia; others are open to all.

Iguana

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply!
The information you've given is super helpful and cleared up alot, especially the plants+lighting.
As for the test kit, i'll look around but that's the cheapest i've seen it locally. Unfortunately aquarium and reptile stuff is stupidly expensive here, because of import fees and stuff, also not a huge demand as in america lol.
I'll have a look on facebook thanks, some local groups would be helpful :)
Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!