Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First ever Tank and I need Advice!

itsEdge

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m in the process of getting a 55 gallon tank and would love to live my dream of having little Axolotls as pets! I live in a little town called Ouray up in the Mountains of Colorado and I need advice...
Do Axolotls have special filtration needs?
Can I keep 3 Axolotls in one 55 gallon tank?
And finally, what do they need in the tank that regular fish don’t?
Thanks in advance guys- I can’t wait to be part of your community!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to axolotls myself but thought my reply would be better than none!
The most important thing with a filter is to make sure it has a low flow, as turbulent high flowing water can stress your axi. You can achieve this with pretty much any type of filter by adding a spray bar or aquarium decor below the filter to buffer the full force of the water. Personally I use a sponge filter. 3 axolotl should be just fine in a 55 gallon just be sure they are all approximately the same size to avoid any accidental cannibalism :eek:
As for things they need in the tank, be sure Not to use gravel or small stones as substrate. Axolotl will eat anything they can fit in their mouths so these pose a serious danger to your axi. Sand or bare bottom is best. They need plenty of hides and plants to feel safe in, at least one good hide per axolotl. I also use a feeding jar to help with meal time mess, which is just a mason jar turned on it's side for them to crawl into and munch. Best of luck :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!