Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My FBN is bleeding. Please help!

J

john

I dont know what to do. I quarantined me femail C.o. and she seemed to be doin alright. She is eating and somewhat active. She has not been using her back left leg. Than today, i can home to check on her leg. i took her out and when i was examining the area, she was squirmin around and I say some blood come from the white area around her back leg. Is it bacteria. What can I do for her. I can afford a vet right now. Is there something I can buy to put in the water or anything I can do to help her. Please help!

J

jeff

It sounds infected to me. I would place your C.o. in a quarantine container with wet paper towel, and apply Bactine to the wound. You should be able to find Bactine at any drug store.

J

john

so just paper wet paper towel. Does she need a water dish. She is already in quarantine in a 5 1/2 gallon tank. Should she not have water in the tank. Should I just have a water dish? Thx for the response.

J

jeff

Personally I'd just keep her on paper towel until the injury has healed. I wouldn't use a water dish if I were in your position, but keep the paper towel quite moist, and change it frequently (3 times a week). The problem with keeping her in water is that the Bactine may disperse throughout the water after it's applied, and thus not do any good.

J

john

How should I feed her. She eats live bloodworms and thats about it. I could go get some pinhead-crickets. And newts dont need to drink right? They just soak up water through there skin.

And thx again so much Jeff.

J

jeff

Live bloodworms should be alright on the paper towel as long as they're squirming around. Only put as much as she's capable of eating within a few minutes, and change out the paper towel after she eats, just to be on the safe side. As long as you apply Bactine to the wound and keep the paper towel moist and clean she should be alright. Good Luck!

J

john

Awsome. I got the bactine and dripped a bunch on her wound. I put her in a critter keeper with wet papertowel and some fake plants to hide in and under. Thx for all the help man. I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted to her condition. How often should I apply the bactine. The directions say 2-3 times a day, but thats for humans.

J

jeff

that's something I'm not sure of. I've never actually used bactine, but I do know it's the only approved antiseptic for amphibians by the National Wildlife Health Center. Since there does seem to be an infection, I'd say every other day would probably be the way to go.

J

john

Wow. National Wildlife Health Center heh. Good to know. Thx again for the help. I will apply it once every day and see how that works. How would you recommend I apply it. I just drip it on, but some drips on her tail and back alittle. Is that alright. I figure it is since its an antiseptic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!