Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help. 2 Month Axolotl.

Mindy

Reaction score
I bought 2 Axolotl that's roughly two months old. They're not grown front legs yet and about an inch in length.
I made the huge mistake of feeding them live brine shrimp bought online. I didn't realize I had to rinse the water first. I've never used live food before. One died and I've been really upset. I immediately changed all water and put the surviving one who is Leucistic Pink in fresh declorinated water and a few drops of Methylene Blue as I saw something on its tail. I've managed to save this one but its not as lively as it was. It's alive as I can see the heart beating slowly. I don't want to stress it more. Can anyone help? Have I done the right thing? How much water should be changed each day? It's in a small container. Any comments would help and be of comfort.

Morrison

Reaction score
You should do 100% water changes daily and scrub out the tubs pretty well.
What was on his tail? Fungus?

Kerry M

Reaction score
And scrub the tub with a mix of non-iodinised salt (1 part) and bicarbonate soda (2 parts). Then rinse well and fill up with your aged water.

Mindy

Reaction score
thank you ladies. i took your advice about washing the tub as thats something i didnt do incase i stressed it moving it to another tub as i was putting it in one tub the next day in another. i dont think it was fungus more like scales. it was hard to tell with it being so small. i looked it up on the web and it was like the stuff they get on them when stressed with too much heat, even though the water was cool. does it matter how long the fresh wayer is sitting for as i filled up a plastic bottle with water a weej ago and use that wTer for the changes. she is back to her normal self, eating and zooming about when i have to change water and put food in. appreciate your comments highly. i can see the front legs grown now.

Mindy

Reaction score
Hi Steve
The guy who sold me them said they were two months old. ive never had an axol before and he had loads so took his word. she has only just grown front feet. no back ones yet and she is growing. i take it she (i assume shes female dont know) is younger? x

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If they're kept cold, that's not unheard of. I've been keeping my babies around 12c, and their front legs aren't quite functional yet. They hatched the beginning of January.

Mindy

Reaction score
thanks Kasie. yeah i read it depends on temperature and feeding. she is 2cm approx. i measured her today. or tried to! i have put her in my living room as she was in my kitchen. so will see if that helps. cheers again.

Mindy

Reaction score
heres a photo of her belly full with bloodworm!

Attachments

• 20130302_195934.jpg
    20130302_195934.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 496
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!