Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl vomit? Very unsure. Please help!

Lady Mizo

Reaction score
I've had my axolotl for 5 days now. He's 5 inches long and absolutely adorable. Before I was feeding him 1 wiggler worm a day cut into three pieces. He thoroughly enjoyed them, but would never come out of his cave and he looked pretty thin. Two days ago I fed him a worm, and tried some blood worms in his food dish. I waited 15 minutes before I'd clean the blood worms out, but he'd keep going back to them. it was pretty late in the evening, so I just decided I've let him eat what he wanted. Well upon waking early the next morning I discovered he ate all the blood worms and boy did he look pretty stuffed and not so skinny anymore.
Yesterday he wouldn't eat. Today we suspect he ate a minnow, for we can't find it anywhere. Searching for the minnow...we lifted up his cave to see if it were in there...and good god I thought I was going to throw up. My boyfriend and I discovered some black stuff and a pretty decent sized black lump under where his hide was. It smells absolutely putrid. We've tried to use a baster and remove what we could. I'm going to take the gravel vac and get the rest after I post this, and also test the water parameters. I will attach some photos.

It's been find of fun because he hasn't been hiding in his cave for 90% of the daylight hours like before. We thought maybe he was getting used to the tank and getting used to us, but now I kinda think he was just bothered by the smell. [I usually check under the cave every day since he gets salt baths daily due to a tail injury, and this is the first time I've seen it.]

And he only ate 1/3rd of a worm today. The other two bits were removed with the gunk.
ARG!

Very nervous about the smell.
Please help!

Attachments

• Axolotl vomit.JPG
    Axolotl vomit.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,529
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,312
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,335
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1