Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Obese tiger salamander

sammiethes

Reaction score
Hello.

Our previously very sick tiger salamander is now doing very well. However, he started becoming obese before he was returned to his aquarium. I guess this was due to a long period of inactivity before he was returned to the aquarium.

I have reduced feeding to twice a week from the previous three. He eats super worms, crickets, dubia roaches and another type of roach I am unable to identify. Two or three of each at a time. I've heard that the superworms are very fattening and have reduced feeding them to only once a week.

Curious to know what others would do. Would you reduce feeding to once a week or keep to twice a week but far less food in one sitting?

Many thanks.

S.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Insect larvae will be high in fat and calories compared to other feeders so maybe avoid them during the diet period. Since we don’t know the exact calorific input/output you’ll just have to play it by ear by adjusting the feeding regime. Perhaps a set of digital kitchen scales and a weekly “weigh in“ will let you know if you’re heading in the right direction. An obese tiger salamander is probably one of the easier salamanders to weigh.

sammiethes

Reaction score
Mark.

Many thanks for the reply.

I wish I could get earthworms but not so easy here. They do sell them from time to time but they don't last long. No opportunity to dig my own.

S.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to live foods my tiger salamanders eat non-live foods such as Repashy’s grub pie and Hikari’s cichlid pellets. The grub pie is a reduced fat soldier fly larvae gel pre-mix which on paper is nutritionally complete. The cichlid pellets need softening in water before feeding and are around 4% fat. Both can be offered on a skewer and being dry have years of shelf life. Handy if you’re struggling to get a full range of live foods.

markwn

Reaction score
Are you sure it's obesity? not pregnancy?

I bought a car, I'm happy, these guys helped with a loan.
Main Page

sammiethes

Reaction score
Definitely not pregnant. Alone for around 18 months.

I tried the Repashy Grub Pie as previously recommended by Mark. A bit tricky to feed as softer than expected but he really liked it.

S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!