Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Bleeding Axie!

C

casey

Ive had an axie for a few months. Hes not well. He stopped eating and gills shrunk and he looked like he had a sore arm.
After reading other threads, I decided to put him in the fridge. When I got him out for his first salt bath his arm was bleeding, but the salt seemed to heal it instantly, so I put him back in the fridge.
The next time I got him out he looked much worse, bleeding from the gills. Again the salt stopped the bleeding.
Today worse again, it looks like his feet are bleeding too!!! What do I do now??? Please Help
sad.gif

heihei

Reaction score
when you do the salt baths, is the water the same temperature as his fridge container? It needs to be the same so the differing temperatures don't stress him. Are you doing daily 100% waterchanges, and are you using 2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre of water for 10=15minutes. If you're concerned you could stop doing the saltbaths and just restart them if he appears to have fungus or infection.

C

casey

Yep, Ive done as suggested above. I put him back in the tank because he was looking so red in the fridge. But hes bleeding from his gills, and his feet. I did a 100% water change on the tank before I put him back in. and I have lowered the water level to about 1/2. I plan on changing the water 2x a week.

heihei

Reaction score
Aw no, wrong thing to do doing a 100% waterchange as your tank will now be cycling! But too late now. You would have been better off leaving him in the fridge, unless your fridge was too cold.

Now what you have to do is do DAILY waterchanges 20% as your tank has started cycling. 2x a week is not enough to keep the levels safe for your axie, combined with trying to keep tank temperature below 22 degrees if you are having extreme heat. See following article re cycling: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Did you use dechlorinated water (water with water conditioner added to it to remove chlorine and chloramines). T

C

casey

We have rainwater, but have added a small amount of ACE [Ammonia chlorine Eliminator].
I will change the water 20% daily. Its pretty cool in my house so I dont think the water is too warm, but I dont have a thermometer. He's floating a lot, so should I lower the water level even more?

heihei

Reaction score
if you can invest in a thermometer for your tank, my sister's house is very cool, and we don't get the temps Aus is getting, but her tanks are still sitting at 20-22 degrees, tho cooler in evenings.

C

casey

Ok, I'll do that. In the meantime I was thinking about putting a bottle of frozen water in to float in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!