Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: New 55 gallon tank for my babies

Terri9967

Reaction score
Well, my babies now have a new HUGE home. I was at the local pet store the other day and I always read the for sale board, and there was a listing for a 55 gallon tank for $50.00 and a 30 gallon tank with stand for $75.00. So I went and look at them and wheeled and dealed them down to $75.00 for both!!!

So my axies are in the 55 gallon and the 30 gallon one wil have fresh water exotic fish, and my daughter got my old tank for her fat tailed gecko. Here are some pics from today of the new set up, and I went with a bare bottom as I didnt want to try to use turkey baster in a huge tank. I bought 2 new filters with the flow tubes (wow I love them) and one of them hoses to clean bottom of tank and some new decorations.

Check out my photo gallery on my profile. More pics there.

Hope you all like the pics.

Attachments

• 6301.jpg
    6301.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 425
  • 6302.jpg
    6302.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 6303.jpg
    6303.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 6304.jpg
    6304.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 468
  • 6308.jpg
    6308.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 693
  • 6305.jpg
    6305.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 381
  • 6306.jpg
    6306.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 772
  • 6307.jpg
    6307.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 514

madeve

Reaction score
It looks really good Terri, your little ones look great too. I love those plants by the way where did you get them?
Eve

Terri9967

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got the plastic plants at my local pet store. Not sure my axies like the bare bottom tank after having sand before. They actually turned their nose up at the nightcrawlers when it was dinner time.

I have added a few more pics here. I had to add the ones of my daughters fat tailed gekco. LOL

Isn't my puppy Pierre soooooo cute???!!!

Oh and I should mention that the speakers that are under my tank are NOT hooked up. LOL

Attachments

• 63016.jpg
    63016.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 420
  • 63010.jpg
    63010.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 63011.jpg
    63011.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 63012.jpg
    63012.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 101_0945.jpg
    101_0945.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 249

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a spoilt bunch!

They just may need some time to adjust to the difference from the sand to glass floor when it comes to the eating - the reflection of the glass may be throwing them off kilter...I don't think it will take them long to gather their courage to eat ;)

And congratulations on the 'wheeling and dealing' - BARGAIN!

Terri9967

Reaction score
Thanks Jacq, I love to wheel and deal. When my family goes to garage sales on the weekends they always drag me with them. They are to afraid to ask someone if they will take a lower price for something, so they hand me the item and I go and ask. Don't know when I would have paid full price for something at a garage sale. LOL

And YES they are spoiled!!!! My husband asked me today "just how much has theses $8.00 axies cost us in total?" LOL I didnt answer him!!

madeve

Reaction score
And YES they are spoiled!!!! My husband asked me today "just how much has theses $8.00 axies cost us in total?" LOL I didnt answer him!!

LOL when I told my hubby that I wanted to upgrade the tank and I'd like some black sand and maybe some ornaments to hook up to the air pump and ... then he stopped me and asked the same thing :p.
Eve

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

Well done! on the excellent bargain. Your axolotls look lovely as well and they will be singing phrases for you.

See you later

Terri9967

Reaction score
Thanks ali, was alot of work thats for sure. And still in middle of cycle, which is not so easy doing 20% water change for a 55 gallon tank. LOL

Terri9967

Reaction score
Thank you Ellen. I have to admit the 20% water change in a 55 gallon tank is quite the work out. LOL But my axies seem to love the huge roaming area. Cant wait to see if they are male or female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1