Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sydney babies

nicolle

Reaction score
Hi I bought 2 axies on Saturday and low and behold on Sunday there was an egg in the tank. The lady told us when we bought them that the female had finished laying but I guess not. WHAT NOW? The pet shop told me do nothing adn wait until it is born then put it in itsown tank with liquid fry?? I have read differing reports mainly to use daphnia. What is daphnia and where do I get it in Sydney?

Jake

Reaction score
Daphnia are often called 'water fleas', they're little bugs that live in fresh water bodies. I'm not sure how easily they can be obtained where you are, but here I can find them in just about any pond/puddle that has water in it for more than 3 weeks. If you can't get daphnia then chopped tubifex and newly hatched brineshrimp are just as good for the axolotl larvae.

KT

Reaction score
HI :) I'm in Victoria. I have found what I think is Daphnia (as far as I can figure out from info and images on here and elsewhere on the net) in a local pond. I have tried it out with one of my (then 2 week old axies)... just be careful that there is nothing other than Daphnia in the water that can kill them? I tested it with one axie and it died. so now I'm going to try a thorough rinse with treated water. Just thought i'd warn you incase you were thinking of putting them in with all of the babies. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!