Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

earth worms for toads

gcollin

Reaction score
Today I bought some earth worms for my tiger salamander and two american toads, my salamander ate the worm happily but the toads would not eat . They will nibble at the worms but not eat them. i find this weird because they have not eating a full meal in about 2 weeks. I think it is because diet change (crickets to worms) but if you have any ideas please tell me.

-collin

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: earth worms

I had no luck getting toads to eat worms. They would try, but were unable to catch the worms with their tongues. If the toads are trying to eat by "tongue flick", the worms just don't stick.

gcollin

Reaction score

I should of said the type of toads. They are bufo americanus, and he will nibble at it but not eat it.

-collin

I was told by other users to use worms for my toads.

NewtZoo

Reaction score

I have three species of frog and I cant get any of them to eat earth worms. It sucks because they eat all the crickets in one night and earth worms last so long in the fridge. Maybe if you want to switch diet you could go with meal worms and wax worms. All my critters love wax worms its the universal treat!

gcollin

Reaction score

It is much easier for me to get earth worms than wax worms. (i have to ride to the store to get wax worms when i can earth worms at any gas station) I have to ride 40 miles total to get wax worms, and ride 2 miles to get earth worms.

-collin

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score

A little trick I use to get my toads to eat worms is to use a piece of straw, like that from a broom, and impale the worm on the tip of the straw. You'll need to wiggle it a little bit in front of the toads face to get them to strike.

gcollin

Reaction score

A little trick I use to get my toads to eat worms is to use a piece of straw, like that from a broom, and impale the worm on the tip of the straw. You'll need to wiggle it a little bit in front of the toads face to get them to strike.

Sounds like a good idea i will try this tonight when i feed them again.
Thanks.

-collin

malduroque

Reaction score

I highly doubt that the change of food offerings affected their appetites. I always vary the diet and toads are much too opportunistic eaters to get stuck on but one item. I've had a half dozen or so bufo species (currently have virdis and regularis) and all of them welcomed earthworms. If any of them had any trouble picking them up I use tongs (plastic) and either dangle it in front of them or simply raise the worm a little above the surface for easier access.

Earthworms are a great food for your toad. Low fat, good calcium and other nutrients. You can't go wrong with earthworms as a major part of a varied diet and no, I don't work for the Earthworm Advisory Board.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Similar to what malduroque does, I put my worms on a cloth which made it easier for the toad to grab/pick up the worm and shove it in their mouths. I never saw them get the worms with their tongue, they would have to lunge and literally "bite" onto it and use their arms to get it into their mouths. With only a couple of tries they got the hang of it. With the exception of slugs, my toad ate EVERYTHING and would not turn it down if it moved.

I used earthworms as really my main food source, I also included waxworms, woodlice, beetles, crickets, etc.

Mitch

malduroque

Reaction score
Mitch,

Just curious which species of toad you have? I've never had a problem with slugs, all of the guys I've fed them to lap them right up.

Of my current crop the only food I can think of that doesn't have unanimous acceptance is woodlice. I have one that spits them out though the other 3 take them on readily.

Mal

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You should try bigger or smaller sized worms. I have fed toads worms for years and never had problem. You could try drying the worms on some papertowl first. My wife had a toad that loved worms so much it would eat spagetti. Without sauce. Eveyone knows they don't like tomatoes jus the spagetti. I'm not joking about the spagetti, she didn't even have to make it move just plop in down in front of her on the kitchen table. One of the craziest things I have seen with animals.

gcollin

Reaction score
Wow this thread has gotten long, thanks for all the useful advice guys. My toads have became so used to worms that I just have to drop the worm in their cage and they will eat it.
The method I use now is: I took a bunch of river rocks and made a floor, (so the worms don't dig into the dirt)
then I drop the worms on the floor (made of river rocks) and the toads will scoop the worms up into their mouth and eat them. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1