Removing uneaten bloodworm

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have a little bit trouble with removing uneaten bloodworm.
Most of them are a little bit white fuzzy and sometimes black but its a pain in the *** to remove it. Are there easier ways to prevent doing that and removing it?
I tough about feeding my Axie chopped earthworms so i dont have to remove that much.
My axolotl is a juv btw.

2 words! TURKEY BASTER!
istockphoto_1078991-turkey-baster.jpg

They are a GODSEND!
You need to remove the worms waaay before they get fuzzy like after 30mins!!!

2 words! TURKEY BASTER!

They are a GODSEND!

You're so right!! i use it to clean the bottom of all tanks too, it's easy to use :)

2 words! TURKEY BASTER!

They are a GODSEND!
Hope injection things work too (I use them to give my axie's food really easy)

Hope injection things work too (I use them to give my axie's food really easy)

Im guessin you mean a syringe, would work fine might be abit fiddly tho! How do you remove the axie poo? The turkey baster is excellent for a quick clean up and spot cleaning I really dont know what I would do without it!

YEP Turkey baster. I also have a smaller version of the turkey baster that came with some medication I bought for my sons. It only holds 3mLs but it's great for picking up little bits of blood worm AND for feeding earthworms. They fit into it perfectly and it's got a much finer control :happy:

I've found that putting the bloodworm (frozen that I thawed and rinsed) in a glass jar full to the absolute top (the top/opening has to big enough for your axie to get into and out of easily) and carefully putting it on it's side at the bottom of the tank in the sand with the top slightly raised helps to reduce the mess. They crawl into the jar, have their fill and back out again. It's cut down on the worms going everywhere and when they are done I can carefully just lift the jar and uneaten worms out again.

Im guessin you mean a syringe, would work fine might be abit fiddly tho! How do you remove the axie poo? The turkey baster is excellent for a quick clean up and spot cleaning I really dont know what I would do without it!
Maybe this sounds hilarious but how does axie poo look like?

Like this (I knew this pic could be useful one day)
But If they walk over it, stomp on it, or whatever... then it looks a bit like.... dark pieces all over the place (But it should be removed before that's happening):

Attachments

• Axodrol.jpg
    Axodrol.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,085
LOL you have a pic of Axie poop?! :rofl: :eek:That said I did accidentally get one just in shot when taking a pic of their hair grass yesterday. It's kinda fuzzy and out of focus but it's there :wacko: I would have taken it out first but that would have spooked my female who never comes out back into hiding and I wanted pics of her :lol:

That's it alright. Mine tend to do longer ones though and if they have a fish (head end) then you can see the fish head on the leading end :eek: Thought they weren't digesting it but it only LOOKED solid, it fell apart just like all the rest did :rolleyes:

YEP Turkey baster. I also have a smaller version of the turkey baster that came with some medication I bought for my sons. It only holds 3mLs but it's great for picking up little bits of blood worm AND for feeding earthworms. They fit into it perfectly and it's got a much finer control :happy:

I've found that putting the bloodworm (frozen that I thawed and rinsed) in a glass jar full to the absolute top (the top/opening has to big enough for your axie to get into and out of easily) and carefully putting it on it's side at the bottom of the tank in the sand with the top slightly raised helps to reduce the mess. They crawl into the jar, have their fill and back out again. It's cut down on the worms going everywhere and when they are done I can carefully just lift the jar and uneaten worms out again.

That's like a great idea! I'll have to try that! I've just been using a gravel cleaner to suck up the uneaten bloodworms. Recently i've been thawing the cubes slightly and swishing them around in a jar so they're a little smaller and the axies can eat them in one go. Otherwise they go to town shaking them around and making a right mess!

I use the natural way, i have shrimps. they eat the left over for me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back