Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

1 week holiday + axies

waster

Reaction score
Just looking for ideas on how to manage axies when away on holiday

got a pair of juvie axies (4-5 inches) that are currently feeding everyday

i will be away for a week soon and for another week a few months from now

there is one person that can feed them
but clean up and water changes are out of the question (too much to ask from this person)

so i am thinking that i should give them a heavy feeding before i go, do a complete water change and instruct the babysitter to throw some bloodworms/red wigglers in the tank on day 4 or 5. Then on day 8/9, when i get back, I can do another full water change, and feed them heavily

will that work?

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

even juvenile axies like yours, can stay without feeding for a week or more. So that might be no problem and when your axie sitter can feed them at day 4/5, he should feed them live bloodworms. Left over frozen bloodworms or red wrigglers (starving) could foul the water.
How big is the tank?
I would suggest to put them into a big container/tank (>50litre), because bad water conditions would be the bigger problem.

Tina

waster

Reaction score
thanks

tank is only a 10 gallon
the 30 gallon they live in is at a different location at this time

might be best to just feed them heavily 2 days before i go, wait for the poop the next day and make a massive water change. get the sitter to feed them on day 6/7. and i get back on day 8/9 to feed and change water

SwissAxie

Reaction score
thanks

tank is only a 10 gallon
the 30 gallon they live in is at a different location at this time

might be best to just feed them heavily 2 days before i go, wait for the poop the next day and make a massive water change. get the sitter to feed them on day 6/7. and i get back on day 8/9 to feed and change water

You keep two axolotls in a ten gallon tank ???
Good Lord..

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Tina,

10 gallons is 40 liters. As long as they have that size, that is ok you're right. But they grown quickly. And he says the other tank is somewhere else... But anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1