Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby Axolotls feeding question

Petchy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just got a hold of 3 baby axolotyls they are about 8cm long and are extremely fiesty.
I am not new to axolotyls as I have 2 adult axies but this is the first time i've had baby ones. They are ofcourse in there own tank together not with the adult axies but I was wondering if there was anything else I could feed them I have some live blood worms but I need a syringe and can't get one at the moment. I am just curious if there is anything else I can feed them as I have 3 Meal worm farms and I am sure there is like a few mozzie breeding holes out the back. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

bayhicoach

Reaction score
Re: Baby Axolotyls feeding question

I am sure there is like a few mozzie breeding holes out the back.
In the interest of international understanding can you explain what a mozzie is?

Anyway, when my axies reached that size I was feeding them mysis shrimp, adult brine shrimp and sinking fish pellets with great success.

Petchy

Reaction score
Re: Baby Axolotyls feeding question

Could have typed it in google and amazing things happen mate.
A mozzie is a Mosquito
Thanks
I have some brine Shrimp eggs would it be best to just put some of them in and let them hatch themselves?
Also I have axolotyl pellets would they work?

Last edited:

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hey,

Feed them bloodworms and little pieces of fish (NO saltwater fish). Brine shrimp are a little small at that stage unless you take the adult frozen ones. Be sure to rince those well, as they grow up in saltwater that probably contained iodine which is a no no with axolotls, especially juveniles (that is why I emphasize NO saltwater fish).

You may also try axolotl pellets if you find good ones. If they are too big, you may cut them into smaller pieces with cisors or a sharp knife.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You mentioned meal worm , only feed rarely when your axolotl are bigger. You will need to crush its head ( the mealworm) as they may nip. At the size yours are, I would feed small or cut up earthworm.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pieces of fish are not a particularly good food at all. When feeding fish, which should only be done on rare ocassions, you should ideally feed whole, small fish. Nutritionally it makes a HUGE difference.

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hey,

What would that difference be exactly ? And how does it affect the axolotls digestion and life ? I don't see what should be BAD about fish tough.
Here in Europe, lots of people feed pieces of fish, and I haven't heard of any axolotl getting sick from it. Lots of people also feed live Guppies. I must add here though, that I NEVER recommend feeding ONLY fish or ONLY one type of food. Feeding only fish is certainly as bad as feeding only earthworms for instance. on my web page Que mange-t-il ? there is a whole list of stuff that can be fed. I don't think anyone should run out of possibilities.

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Here are a couple of interesting articles :-

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

Do bare in mind this is not directed only at axolotl , but other caudates also.:D

Julia, I dont' quite understand the interest (for the axolotl) of the list with Nutritional Values. The fish on that list is salt water fish, which one's not supposed to feen an axolotl with because it messes up his tyroid levels (iodine contained in salt water fish - ambystoma mexicanum has and must have a hypoactive tyroid gland)
But thanks for the links.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure Julia posted this directed at Petchy, and she did say that it's not just relevant to axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1