Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"How To Breed , Feed And Raise The Edible Frog"

xxianxx

Reaction score
I came across this book on Project Gutengerg, it is copyright 1905 author unknown and cost $1 at the time of publication http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?pageno=1&fk_files=1747175 . It explains how to breed and raise edible frogs (Rana esculenta), which is apparantly a suitable occupation for "Those desirous of light work" (the heading of chapter two). It was an interesting book, unfortunately i am unfamiliar with this particular species so can not judge the veracity of its contents but from what i do know from similar species appears to be correct. If anyone who reads it would care post their comments on the accuracy of the book it would be much appreciated. An interesting part the book is that it advertised breeding pairs of frogs

"Be sure and get the Edible Frog when you start, as they are the best
for table and bring the highest prices, and grow to marketable size
more rapidly, which is a big item. We always have breeding stock for
sale at following prices:

3 year old Frogs, per pair $ 4.00

4 year old Frogs, per pair 8.00

5 year old Frogs, per pair 10.00

Place your orders early, so as to be sure and get your breeders in
time to get the advantage of early breeding. Send money by registered
letter or money order to

MEADOW BROOK FARM,
Allendale, New Jersey."

An average worker made $12.98 for a 59 hour week in 1900 ( American Cultural History - Decade 1900-1909 ) so a pair of frogs would be a significant investment, a pair of five year old frogs would be $236.16 taking inflation into account ( Inflation Calculator 2012 )

otolith

Reaction score
Funny book, sounds like a 1905 "get quick rich" scam. Seems pretty crazy to go through all the trouble of breeding Rana esculenta when pretty much anyone in the US could go out and collect as many Bullfrogs as they wanted.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I think the book was actually an advertising ploy for the sale of frogs, it also mentions that a breeder can make money by selling pairs of frogs to new frog breeders, smacks of an amphibian pyramid scheme. However it would be interesting to compare and contrast the husbandry methods for edible frogs from one hundred years ago with todays commercial breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!