Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Newt and Salamanders: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual (Indiviglio)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear this. But I thank you for your post.
That is why we have POD (Publish On Demand), aka publish your own book using online services that print it and send it to Amazon, B&N, and old fashioned book shops all over the world.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
That is why we have POD (Publish On Demand), aka publish your own book using online services that print it and send it to Amazon, B&N, and old fashioned book shops all over the world.

Do I sense a strictly Necturus book in the future?... well maybe with some sirens too

Abrahm

Reaction score
I am also disappointed by the loss of some text. I was hoping that if anything more would be added.

You can easily have your own books professionally printed these days but I think it is a bit more difficult to get yourself in the three-tiered system or Amazon (unless you use their POD service which supposedly isn't as cost effective as Lulu). To enter distribution you would need a lot of books which also removes one of the benefits of POD service; low barrier to entry.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Lulu offers all of those facilities actually.

I am also disappointed by the loss of some text. I was hoping that if anything more would be added.

You can easily have your own books professionally printed these days but I think it is a bit more difficult to get yourself in the three-tiered system or Amazon (unless you use their POD service which supposedly isn't as cost effective as Lulu). To enter distribution you would need a lot of books which also removes one of the benefits of POD service; low barrier to entry.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that,

Best, Frank

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks very much for your notes.

I've thought about self-publishing but do not really have enough information. Also, as writing and consulting are my primary means of support, I need to be practical (I'm also locked into the revision via my original contract with the publisher!).

I've always tended towards the unstudied and under-appreciated, in creatures ranging from inverts to mammals (when working with mammals at the Bronx Zoo, I focused on bats, mustelids and rodents) and would write solely about such if able...but, unfortunately, I usually need to go with what publisher's want. I have a great deal of leeway on my blogs at www.thatpetplace.com and so can use that as an outlet for my interests at times.

Some time ago I wrote The Everything Aquarium Aquarium Book. The publisher, Adam's Media, let me include leeches, some amphibians, frog-mouthed catfishes, aquatic insects, spider crabs and other favorites, but that was highly unusual.

Perhaps I'll tap some of you for self-publishing advice in the future, if you don't mind.

Again, thanks for the warm reception,

Best, Frank Indiviglio

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Frank will say something publicly about it (he's a member here). He mentioned this to me before privately though. I got the impression he wasn't crazy about shrinking it.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello, Frank Indiviglio here.

I would like first to apologize in taking so long to view the very generous comments posted about my book...Dawn was kind enough to draw my attention to it...much appreciated, Dawn.

A new edition of the book will be published within the next year or so...it will have many new photos, but, per publishers new guidelines, a good deal less text....well, hopefully we can cover some of the deleted matters here.

The new edition of Newts and Salamanders by Indiviglio is out. I plan to pick up a copy to see what changes were made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Molch

Reaction score
First class book. I saw the new edition, but I like the old one better: it has more information, and still plenty of nice pics.

Btw, there is a mistake on page 11 that, unfortunately, has not been corrected in the 2nd edition: the pic is labeled Crested newt (T. cristatus), but the drawing is clearly of a L. vulgaris in breeding plumage.

DeCypher

Reaction score
First book I ever got on caudates. It's a one-of-a-kind book...love it!

lexmiller

Reaction score
That was one of the first books I bought as a young hobbyist. I did not understand much of the inofrmation in it then(2000), but I have often refered back to that book when I need a good little read, and then I find I learn something new each time.

Allistor

Reaction score
That is my very first book that I read about newts and salamanders.
A very experienced person on the hobby lent it to me and he said that my lack of basic ideas was due to so much dispersed and confusing information that is all around the Internet. He said it right that way: "After you read this book you will know exactly what is the information available that is not trash and also you will get another perspective about keeping newts and salamanders." Guess what? He was totally right!!
It's very important to be reading the other hobbyists experiences, being active in some groups and go on search for somethings that could be important but keeping on the search without having some pre-designed ideas means that you will read much non-important information leading any beginner to be lacking of basics on the hobby.
The book that I got here in my hands is the Spanish version with 240 pages entitled as "El Nuevo Libro de Salamandras y Tritones". I had no idea that this book was a translated version from the original "Newts and Salamanders" and I was preparing myself to write a review. The book begins with information about the some considerations about understanding salamanders and then going on the kinds of setups and it's maintenance, feeding, health and some care-sheets (being very briefly). The experiences described by the author are very fascinating. Maybe this book could be kindly more completed if it touched on the Paramesotriton complex.
I loved to read it and I am not sure if I am going to buy the English or the Spanish version. If I get a nice book supplier from Spain I think that will be the version that I will enjoy the most. I am Portuguese and I had almost no difficulty to understand Spanish.
There was just one thing that i didn't understood and google didn't helped me with this: what kind of live food the author refers to when he says "gusanos negros"? I first thought it could be tubifex but no, it isn't. If someone could help me with this :D And also if someone knows a book supply from Spain that ships to Portugal I would really appreciate a PM with that information.
I really do recommend that book to anyone who is a caudata hobbyist!

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I think they may refer to blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus) when tjey say "gusanos negros".

laalflaach

Reaction score
I ordered this book last night, just waiting for it to arrive so I can start reading it!:happy:

Lugubris

Reaction score
I picked up the second edition of this book today in a pet store (which had no newts or salamanders for sale, oddly enough) knowing absolutely nothing about it before hand. I am glad that I bought it. Being at least somewhat experienced in salamander care, I knew a lot of the information in it already, but it also contained lots of info and ideas that had never occurred to me before.

I greatly enjoyed the section on salamander body language, and hope some day I will be able to use the breeding information. It's a terrific quick reference book, especially for diagnosing illness/wounds. It will be great to have for those times when I can't access caudata.org. The plethora of pictures also make it great for those deciding what species to acquire.

Might have to buy the first edition used online someday!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!