Axolotl broken leg

nadine011

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello there

I recently bought an Axolotel and when I put him in the tank I saw that one of his leg was in a weird position I believe it's broken but I'm not sure about this. He's swimming normally just the leg is really twisted and is somehow sticking out. I read online that I have to cut it of since its regenerating but I also read that sometimes it goes away I'm a bit worried and if someone with more experience than I have could tell me what to do.. That would be great
Thanks a lot

Re: Axolotel broken leg

Can you post a picture?

It sounds to me that someone has given you an Axolotl with a limb that was previously damaged but has regenerated at the wrong angle (often back to front). This is not much of an issue, the Axolotl will adapt and continue to function as normal.

Otherwise it may have damaged the limb and has managed to break and twist it. If this is the case the lower part of the limb will likely die off and regrow.

Yes the limb has re grown in the wrong direction. Nothing to worry about. Though the previous owner clearly falsely advertised it, failing to mention the defect.

oh okay and will it be normal again or will it stay like this? It is not in pain or something?

Axolotls have the ability to regrow limbs, and other parts of their anatomy. Quite often the limb will not regrow identical to the original. It won't be in pain, the limb is just facing the wrong way and won't have as much functionality as it would normally, but it will still live a normal life

Someone else on here had an axies leg regrow but turned inward. It was fine.

Mine had a broken and useless leg when I got him. It flopped or stuck to his side and it has healed up perfectly. It's crazy how these guys heal! Mine is currently regrowing the skin on its toes! (I didn't realize the sand I was using was really abrasive.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back