Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue LED (blacklight) in axie tank?

debadog

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the use of blacklight or blue LED lighting (I think they are different even though they look the same) in an axolotl tank. I know their eyes are sensitive to light but I was wondering if it would be okay to leave a blue LED on for longer than my normal LEDS as its definitely not as bright?

Thanks!

MamaPluto

Reaction score
Continuous blacklight use tends to be stressful for axolotl. Not sure on the LEDs off the top of my head, though.

HecticDucky

Reaction score
i would believe that any dimmer light would be better than bright light Led's are brighter but it all depends on the lumens that light puts out i would assume that you would be fine if it bugged them they would hide from it. i switch my setup light to interchangeable leds and over my typical light they probably hid most of the time when the light was on and seem to not care with my led as of yet

Donna001

Reaction score
I use my LED tank lights on the dimmest setting, and my gang don't seem to be bothered even with the white lights on for up to 6 hours in the evening. They certainly don't like the white lights on the higher settings, but are ok with the blue lights on.

debadog

Reaction score
Thanks all, he doesn't seem massively bothered by it (he never really hides unless he's stressed because I'm cleaning etc.) but I was wondering if there was some horrible effect of blue light that I didn't know about. Unfortunately I can't dim the lights as they're built in, but that's something I'll look into when I upgrade his tank.

Cheers!

Donna001

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there isn't a problem with blue light. White and blue lights are in the visual spectrum range, and black lights (UV lights) are a very different wavelength to blue light/moon light bulbs. I've got a feeling that I read somewhere on this site in the past that part of the problem with black lights is something to do with causing GFP axies to glow and stressing them. Apologies for the lack of detail, I don't have black lights or flourescent axolotls, and it was something I read a long time ago, but I'm sure that the more experienced keepers can clarify the situation for you.
It sounds as if your axie is comfortable with the lights that you have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!