Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Food {Earthworms}

Eternie

Reaction score
Hello there,
So I have things like Bloodworms and Floating Sticks (Recommended by a breeder in my area) for my incoming Axie (won't receive for a few months sadly) and I know that Earthworms are the best things for these little guys, so I was wondering if any of you have any tips on starting a Wormery? Because where I can get the specific ones that Axies prefer it would be $30 every time I buy a box of them for the Axie. But if its better to just pay the $30 or so, or go store exploring for them, that would be fine too, just trying to save some extra cash. :)
Any advice would be great :)

LippyNix

Reaction score
Where in the world are you finding worms for that price?! Here 30 redworms are $3.99 and 12-18 crawlers are $5.99! Some pet stores have them, Wal-Mart has them and even most gas stations have them because it's fishing season. I have seen a ton of info on raising your own worms in a simple plastic storage bin. Just google it and you'll see there's a ton of things to read and videos on YouTube. If you're having to pay that much, I'd suggest raising your own. I'm thinking of it because I don't want to keep paying $3.99! LOL

Eternie

Reaction score
Alright! :) I was looking at Amazon because in my research websites were saying it was the best place to buy them from, I guess not, haha. I will definitely go store hunting once my axie is 1) here, and 2) big enough to eat earthworms. Thanks sooo much! :)

LippyNix

Reaction score
It may be that you have to get them online part of the year, I'm not sure as mine are only 8 months old and haven't been eating worms that long. BUT the two brands I've seen are both farmed locally and I'm going to see about getting them year round. I'm guessing shipping is expensive because they have to be kept in a certain temp range, so I may still go buy a $5 plastic bin and just dump in a container of worms I've already bought along with proper food and such. They supposedly are easy to raine, aren't smelly and I have the space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1