Illness/Sickness: I need help with my axololt!

alexis0628

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I have a question about my axololt! Or maybe a few questions! This is my first post so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. Ok, so about a week ago my husband told me that remmy ( the axololt) didn't eat his daily worm. I told him that it's not a big deal because sometimes he will take a day or two break from worms . When I got home I went to check on him and do a water change. He was in good spirits and eating pellets. Only thing I noticed was he seems a bit....clumsy compared to usual. For example, he swims to the top for air at lightning speed where as before he would slowly take his time. And his tail isn't on the ground when he lays down. His front half is on the ground but his butt floats.. anyway, I changed his water tested it and fridges remmy to see if maybe he was constipated. Couple days later I get him out of the fridge and there is some poo in there. So I think he is ok. When I go to pick him up I notice that he has ... maybe pimples on his under belly?? I have tried doing some research as to what this is but cannot find an answer. I took him to the vet and he said he has no idea what the pimples on him are. And told me to try a salt bath. I soaked him in the salt bath for about 10 minutes. Remmy hated it :(. After his bath I put him back in his tank and it looks like remmy is peeling... my question is did the salt bath hurt him? Or is this a fungus or something coming off of him because of the salt? Do you guys have any idea what the pimples are? I don't believe my vet is very skilled in axolotls but he is the only one I could find that would look at him! Like I said remmy is still in good spirits from what I can he. He still eats like usual and doesn't curl his tail at all. Still as active as ever.. but I don't want him to be sick or in pain :( iv had him for about 6 months. The lady I got him from said he was almost a year old. So I'm guessing he is over a year old now. I cycled my tank for just over two months before I got him. Ph levels are great in the tank. This is the first problem he has had since I got him! Please if anyone knows anything or even want to give some friendly advice I would really appreciate it! Thanks guys

IMG_0606.jpgIMG_0625.jpgIMG_0623.jpg

Here is some general information. I don't keep axies and I don't know what it could be. Unless he could be scraping against something in the tank? Anyway I hope someone with axie experience weighs in. Good luck.

Here are some helpful general articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

Caudata Culture Articles

Also you can start here and explore:
Caudata Culture Home Page

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back