Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Paddle Tail Newts

SueW

Reaction score
Hi, I`m Sue and I have 3 paddle tail newts. Not sure which variety they are as not specified when bought, but they have no orange or red at all! Will post a pic later.

They have all lived together for several years, but one has recently lost his front leg, not sure how it occurred, but taken right off to the body except for the bone! Really worried about the little guy, as although it is a very clean wound, his bone is extremely apparent. I understand that it may well grow back in time, but worried about the obvious care needed for him. Can anyone advise?

One of my other guys is underweight too, so I need to feed him up! They only eat frozen blood worms and dried Tetra Repto Frog Granules. I wish to vary their diet, so can anyone suggest anything suitable other than `live` food?

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Hey SueW. Sorry for the late reply. There isn't much you can do for that newt really. I would recommend seperating them if you have not already. There is definitely some aggression with the loss of limbs and one not eating. If you seperate them, you can tell how much is being eaten individually until they get back on track. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!