Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help I don't know what is wrong with my Axolotl

kay6s

Reaction score
I have had my leucistic Axolot for almost 2 years now and from some days now this weird swelling(? under the the tail where the tail begins and the body end maybe its the cloaca(? , I don't know what it is I have been searching around I have seen somewhere it was constipated, but I am not sure, please help?
I don't know how to put pictures in here.
I am in panic please help!

Last edited:

kay6s

Reaction score
Help I don't know what is wrong with my Axolot

I have had my leucistic Axolotl for almost 2 years now and from some days I have noticed this weird swelling(? under the tail where the tail begins and the body end maybe its the cloaca(? from where he poops, I don't know what it is I have been searching around I have seen somewhere it was constipated, but I am not sure, please help?
I don't know how to put pictures in here.

NexSocius

Reaction score
Re: Help I don't know what is wrong with my Axolot

When was the last time he pooped?
Does his bottom float?
Is there another axi in the tank?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some helpful axie resources:

https://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

========================
Health Questions
I don't have a specific answer for you but I would like to refer you to these helpful articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

Also you can start here and explore:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/

and here is how to post pictures.

Last edited:

kay6s

Reaction score
Re: Help I don't know what is wrong with my Axolot

Thank you for your answer.
He already pooped, but it's always kinda swelling it does go down when he poops but not much.
His bottom doesn't float and there is no other axi in the tank only him, he looks normal but that swelling doesn't seem to go away even when he poops.

kay6s

Reaction score
thank you I still don't know how the site works so much.
from the links you send me I only can open the middle one the others give me error 404, thank you anyway.
I fixed this, thank you for letting me know.

The swelling seems to get big sometimes and then it goes down a bit just to come back again.
In my city, there are no vets for this type of animals, amphibians, don't know if that's a thing never had one but thank you for the help I still don't know what it is though...

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1