Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do fire salamander require any lighting source?

MisterWayne

Reaction score
Nope, Its good to have a natural light cycle. Keep them out of direct sun light too. The most important things are temps and substrate moisture. You don't want to keep them too hot (around 65-68 degrees fahrenheit for daytime temps, and try dropping them to around 60 for night temps) and make sure the substrate isn't very wet either. Over saturated substrate can cause lots off issues with shedding. Some people keep live plants with their Salamandra often requiring extra lights. Sometime the bright lights that are need to grow plants can bother Salamandra, and you'll never see them. This is just generally speaking about the entire genus Salamandra. Its good once you narrow down the species you want to do more research.

Hopes this helps! Cheers!

ldethier

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a biologist from Québec, who is passionate about herpetology in general. I am a teacher at a cegep in Laval, just north of Montreal. I did some reaserch in 1995 in Costa Rica on Dendrobates.
I have been doing aquarium, vivariums and paludarium since I was around 10 years old (over 40 years ago).
I am mostly interested in breeding darts frogs. I have presently 5 differents species at home.
I also have a female fire belly newt (cynops orientallis) and I would like to reproduce her. I am looking for a male and would like to either buy it or borrow it in extchange for babies the couple would produce or other arangement. I am willing to do some road to pick it up and bring it back. Would you be interested ?
I have never been in a forum not to sure how it works but I am happy to see people that are pasionate about amphibians.
My english is far from perfect I am a francophone.
Hope to get in touch we you soon.
Luc

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!