Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African Clawed Frog

LeFarge

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a supplier/breeder for an African Clawed/Xenopus frog? I don't want a dwarf one but would ideally like a young one that will grow... and a dark one not albino/gold

Jenste

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a supplier/breeder for an African Clawed/Xenopus frog? I don't want a dwarf one but would ideally like a young one that will grow... and a dark one not albino/gold

You might have success on this forums' sister site, frogforum.net

Also xenopus express might have a uk distrubtion - you can try googling them and emailing them.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Wildtype xenopus are hard to come by in the UK, the only place i have seen them is on ebay (search xenopus, clawed frog doesnt pull up the add), unfortunately the add isnt on at the moment, they are probably out of stock but will readvertise when they have more so you may have to be patient. Have you considered reticulated albino ? Pollywog have some on their stocklist, they are very striking i have a couple my self.

LeFarge

Reaction score
any pictures of yours, Ian? Do you find them good pets?

xxianxx

Reaction score
As soon as I find a competent teenager to work my camera I will put some up lol, if you are looking for interesting pets rather than a breeding colony try and source adult females they are very interactive, always hungry and begging for food, males can be a little shy and if left in an all male tank they get worse and worse. Unfortunately you cant sex small froglets, check RFUK , there are often sexed adults for sale, go for females only unless you want to breed, males tend to be a bit more active with females present though. I love my frogs, my favorite phib is my ACF Pinky she is a star ! she has caused me more problems than all my other phibs put together, initialy a mercy buy from a frog death house (garden center), she has escaped twice, nearly killed herself by over eating three times, intimidates my wife by staring at her and i cant put my hand in the tank without fighting her off as she tries to eat my fingers(no teeth thankfully), she has what many people lack and that is character.

LeFarge

Reaction score
thanks for the steer, I lurk in the amphibians classifieds page over there so hopefully one will turn up soon :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
Two pics of my female reticulated. Her colours are darker than the pic shows and can vary with time, temperature, breeding condition and i have it on good authority that background/substrate has an effect, i was told by Pollywog (RFUK mod and pro phib breeder) that froglets kept in bare tanks do not display their colours very well and stay light till moved to a darker back ground.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 9,421
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 6,949

LeFarge

Reaction score
cute, but definitely a wild type is what I'm after!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Nice looking retic Ian. One of my new frogletts is a retic. I am already very fond of her.

My friend took some better photos which show the colours better, i will post them when he emails them to me, the reticulated look really nice. Did you see my post about the effect of back ground on the colours ? if you are using a bare bottom put a dark substrate in and the patterning may deepen in colour.

rodsboys

Reaction score
I saw your post. I am running a bare-bottom setup too. I may consider adding substrate some day. I will see if I can dig the pic of mine up. I have only had her for about a month. I took the pic a day or so after I brought her home.

xxianxx

Reaction score
This is a much better shot of one of my female reticulated X.laevis

Attachments

• reticulated female X.laevis.jpg
    reticulated female X.laevis.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 22,632
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1