Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happened to my mealworms?

Neonetic

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I got this right, but I fed some mealworms a sample of some high calcium local vegetables, kailan and endives, hours later, they were curled up in a C shape and have remained still ever since, though they seem to still be alive.

I will test another portion of this mixture on some small lobster roaches.

Bad batch? Calcium poisoning?

Anyone knows what happened? So much for gutloading.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Probably pupating, or at least shedding as they grow, but I'd bet on the former.

"kailan" = kale? [ie, cabbage by another name, as so many vegetables are]

esn

Reaction score
I have mealworm colonies, and it sounds like they're pupating. The C shape is a sure sign of it. They lie out flat when they're dying. If they ate the food, it's not because of that. You can force them to pupate by starving them, but they'll pupate sooner or later anyway because of their growth cycle. They were just ready to pupate, that's all. There is nothing wrong with kale as a food source. I'm not nearly so careful with my feeding. I usually feed the fibrous stems of kale and collard greens to my colonies, as well as carrots and oat bran.

Mealworms pupate very easily, even when you don't want them to. That's why mealworm colonies are so easy to start.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!