Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Great salamanders, and great photos. Those things are breeding like rabbits down in San Antonio!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Magnificent!

I will add here that use of the under gravel filter for the terrestrial set up is brilliant!

What a smart, easy way to control you substrate moisture content. (at least, that is what I am guessing it is for...)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't take any setup photos but it really is very simple, just like Sal described it. The containers are not very big either.

SalSA

Reaction score
Ok, the second clutch has begun to hatch. Several babies are out

pseudoeuryceaandhatchlingsclutch2.jpg

Here is a picture of the tanks I keep them in.

pseudoeuryceatank.jpg

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Congrats on the new batch! I hope the others from the first one are doing good. It is amazing how small those little guys are. Thanks for updating!

Mitch

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well done Sal! Thanks for letting us see the continuation of the story :). Do you think these will be an exhibition animal at some point?

SalSA

Reaction score
While I don't work with these salamanders anymore (long story, nothing bad) I was able to get a picture of two of the surviving babies. They are now a little over an inch long and kind of look like Ambystomatids to me.

Attachments

• p galeanae.jpg
    p galeanae.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 801

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You put some paint on a couple of texanum! It was awesome seeing these in person. Thanks again Sal.

methodik

Reaction score
I am sorry to dig up this very old thread, but what happened to the P. galeanae? A breeding success in Pseudoeurycea is somewhat rare and I hope this was repeated... any news? I would kill, or lets say, starve for being able to obtain some of their offspring or eggs.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I am sorry to dig up this very old thread, but what happened to the P. galeanae? A breeding success in Pseudoeurycea is somewhat rare and I hope this was repeated... any news? I would kill, or lets say, starve for being able to obtain some of their offspring or eggs.

These animals where not being hold by a private but by some sor of corporation. And they are on the US. Its pointless for you to come ask for them here, odds are even lower when you start digging dead threads.

methodik

Reaction score
So it's not interesting if breeding succeeded with the other generations if they are hold by an institution? Probably got my hint wrong, the fact that I would love animals of this species didn't mean to say I wanted whoever is keeping them now to send me any - gotta wait for the day where I have my own zoo to talk about stuff like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1