Some freshly hatched Laotriton laoensis

NathanKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan KS
So i recently hatched out 100+ from my 2.2 group.
5MfjZJY.jpg

Thanks, i was successful last year as well with these being some of the yearlings

8Mb6xMx.jpg

Hi Nathan.

At what temps do you keep your juveniles? I have a group that I'm having a hard time feeding.
I have tried feeding them everything from, fruitflies, pinhead crickets, wiggling black worms with a toothpick, small meal worms and nothing.
My newt room is about 60f so maybe it's a bit too cold for juveniles?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm keeping mine at room temperature (17/18C) and I'm offering them blood worms on paper towel as a staple, though they're fed pinheads and white worms as well. I'm no expert though since this is the first time I've raised these buggers. I got some eggs from a fellow keeper, so I'm not a breeder. I'm using the same method for raising them terrestrial as the breeder I got them from does.

Last night I realized how important it is to keep them at around 70f. Two hours after moving them to a warmer room they immediately accepted black worms. I have been trying to feed them for about a month without any success.
Things are looking good now.

Steve

Hi Nathan.

At what temps do you keep your juveniles? I have a group that I'm having a hard time feeding.
I have tried feeding them everything from, fruitflies, pinhead crickets, wiggling black worms with a toothpick, small meal worms and nothing.
My newt room is about 60f so maybe it's a bit too cold for juveniles?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I've tried a few temperatures. They've seemed to do best when the temperature is 70-72f. Over that and they start declining rapidly. Below that they do well but as you have seen, feeding is slowed. If I had to give a target i would recommend 68-70f just because of the effect of over 70 on their skin.
As for feeding mine take all of those readily at 71f right now.

Hope they continue to eat

-Nathan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back