Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Calci worms

tcbemis

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good supplier in the US? I'm having a disturbingly difficult time finding these guys here.

Also... Does anyone have experience feeding them to spotted salamanders?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Calci-worms are all what they are made out to be-
There was a thread on here somewhere talking about them and the fact that a lot of animals can't digest them, maybe someone can find it.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
You can get them at Petco if you need a small amount or order from Timberline if you need a lot. My fire salamanders ignored them, but they ignore everything but crickets!

otolith

Reaction score
Ive had good luck feeding them to a few species; T. rivularis, Salamandra, terrestrial T. marms, and Alpines all ate them without issue. I ordered two different sizes to see how they would work out, the smaller size triggered the best feeding response. They were too expensive for me to be a part of a staple diet.

slowfoot

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1