Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured Tail,

Sablette

Reaction score
Was going about my business as usual. Woke up, fed the axie a nice juicy earthworm, spot checked any poop and went off to work. After about 7 hours I came back home and when I checked on her, something was up with her tail. It looks like it was torn and has a bit dangling off the end. Not wanting to agitate her too much I gently nudged her over to her bowl and dropped a bloodworm cube in to get a look while she was preoccupied with a snack.

Can't really think of anything that could've nicked her in the tank and the filter intake is always on low. (Plus is far up where she hardly ever goes). I've heard a few things about them nipping at their own tails but she is so well fed that I don't really think that could've been it. ANYWAY , how would I go about assuring a steady recovery? Should I snip the bit hanging off or let nature work it's magic? Would a daily black tea bath work well in this situation? I heard if the water is TOO cold then it slows down the regen so is my tank sitting at 65-68f alright?

TL-DR - Axie probably nipped own tail. Fastest way of recovering? Tea or nothing?

Also disregard that one curled gill in the picture. She has a forked gill (probably from inbreeding) which is almost always lopped forward when she is awake.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 689
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 206

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Check the tank for anything sharp that may have caused the injury.
Keeping the water cool (as you have it) and clean is all you need to do for healing. Keep an eye out for fungus, if you see any she will need salt baths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1