Most humane way to euthanize an axolotl?

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim H.
I have a handful of dwarf axolotls that are about a year old from when my axies bred last year. There are one or two of them that just aren't doing well and I feel I should euthanize them instead of them being in pain. Does the clove oil method work on axolotls, and if not what other methods would you suggest?

I’m sorry to hear that. It can’t be an easy thing to do. I’ve never had to euthanize any of my fish or axolotls yet but I’d like to know how and when as well. What made you come to the decision that they need to be put down? Are there any signs in particular that i should look out for?

Well one of them has been getting picked on by the others and it's just beyond recovery in my opinion.

I am sorry to hear that your Axolotls are not doing well. there are a few ways to properly Euthanize them. here is an article on how/when to do so: Culture Articles - Euthanasia

The Easiest way to do so is to take them to a vet to insure minimal pain and cause less stress for yourself

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back