Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Recurring fungus despite good water parameters and temp

GalacticNexus

Reaction score
My axolotl Gummy has recently had a bit of a recurring problem with gill fungus, which is causing them to atrophy and is impacting his appetite (he's lost a lot of weight). This is especially distressing because his partner died a month or two ago.

The water temperature hasn't tipped over 19.5°C at the absolute maximum, so that's not the issue and the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are at 0/0/5, so that seems fine too.

I've started doing salt baths (they're as heartbreaking for me as they are stressful for him) and daily water changes, but does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening? He thrashes about so much when he gets put into the salt bath or back into the tank that I'm worried that it's going to be doing more harm than good. Even after having no sign of it for a couple of days, it was back today on a gill and all over one eye!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your other axolotl :(
Is there anything in the tank that the fungus could be attaching to?

NidiaNz

Reaction score
Do you check your general hardness?

You can give tea baths for fungus too, it's a lot less stressful on them.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you axolotl has white patches on it's body that's an indicator of early fungus (easier to tell on darker coloured axies) and for that I'd use a tea bath, save salt for the fluffy gill fungus :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
If the fungus is not getting in because of temp or water parameters it might just be that it appears to be gone but is reinfecting him as soon as it looks cleared. In this case, I'd agree with Hayleyy and suggest tea baths, as they'd tighten his skin and hopefully stop the fungus taking hold.
It might also be where you're storing your dechlorinated water - if you're not sure you can empty them and rinse them out with boiling hot water before refilling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1