Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What rocks are axolotl-safe?

Sianita

Reaction score
Thank God I checked and found this list. Thanks Eric! I Just about to move my axolotl into my 4ft bow front tank which my fish were in and I have loads of lovely coral rock in it. Safe to say the tank will be pretty bare for a while lol

Lady Kiri

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but my ph is at a 6.2 and I was looking at using Limestone (diy a cave or something) to help raise the ph naturally. But this list says it's not safe. Is it not safe as standard decor because it raises the ph or is it ok to use to raise the ph naturally. Or is there another reason why it's not safe? I ask because many people successfully use crushed coral in their axolotl tanks to raise the ph and this is also listed as not safe to use on this thread.

Wildcard

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but my ph is at a 6.2 and I was looking at using Limestone (diy a cave or something) to help raise the ph naturally. But this list says it's not safe. Is it not safe as standard decor because it raises the ph or is it ok to use to raise the ph naturally. Or is there another reason why it's not safe? I ask because many people successfully use crushed coral in their axolotl tanks to raise the ph and this is also listed as not safe to use on this thread.

Limestone is safe in harder waters, but in acidic waters it will raise your PH and slowly dissolve. It really depends on the PH of the water you are using in your aquarium. Your water appears to be slightly acidic and so the calcium that is present in the limestone will be slowly dissolved which will raise your ph until it reaches equilibrium. The issue with limestone comes when you do a water change with acidic water, the rock will slowly deteriorate as minerals are leeched out. If you live in a place like where I live in Southern Indiana and your water supply is groundwater and is already alkaline and filled with carbonates(my ph is around 7.8), then limestone is completely safe for aquarium use. For you I would be go on the safe side and not use it unless you can keep the ph of your water on the alkaline side with water changes. You really do not want to use limestone to raise the ph naturally because it can really make a mess depending on the rock and how acidic the water you are using is. Hope I helped.

SydneyFor

Reaction score
Wondering why amethyst is safe for axolotls but not for fish? I have a big chunk that's part of a big geode rock that's been in there for months, but someone yesterday said to take it out because it kills fish. Thankful to see that it's on the safe list. Just wondering why.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Wondering why amethyst is safe for axolotls but not for fish? I have a big chunk that's part of a big geode rock that's been in there for months, but someone yesterday said to take it out because it kills fish. Thankful to see that it's on the safe list. Just wondering why.

Amethyst should be safe for both axolotls and fish. Try the vinegar test and you'll see, amethyst will not react with vinegar. Amethyst is quartz that has trace amounts of iron and manganese, it is inert just like quartz and should pose no risk of leeching any metals into the water. One concern with fish would be that they could possibly tear their fins on the amethyst depending on the shape of the crystals, other than that you should be fine with using it.

MoaningMyrtle

Reaction score
I have loads of Filter rock..BIG chunks...that used to be in a commercial Foot Fish shop tank...It's been unused for 3 years...is there a way to clean it, and put a few BIG bits in for my Axolotl? Some are almost fist sized pieces, and would make great cover. Advice much appreciated, please??

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
What actually type of rock is it?

I have loads of Filter rock..BIG chunks...that used to be in a commercial Foot Fish shop tank...It's been unused for 3 years...is there a way to clean it, and put a few BIG bits in for my Axolotl? Some are almost fist sized pieces, and would make great cover. Advice much appreciated, please??

MoaningMyrtle

Reaction score
I know a lot of rocks contain minerals harmful for axies, but specifically which ones?

I bought a couple of rocks from the pet store. I have:
- Obsidian which should be fine
- Some kind of red and white porous rock ( http://www.petco.com/product/112310...e.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_FishSupplies_Decor )
- Something similar but just red
- Some kind of marble or white onyx (I think...)

The marble/onyx(?) concerns me because its chalky. Its definitely not as smooth as the obsidian.
I have a lovely big chunk of natural Amethyst, which I'd love to put in with my Lotl....but it's cut from a geode, and still has the natural rock base...is this still safe, please?

Bookaholix

Reaction score
Is Utah Wonderstone safe for Axolotls? It does not fizz under the Vinegar test, and has been harvested from the wild (not manufactured) and disinfected.

Axielovr_3333333

Reaction score
Other Axolotl safe rocks are:

soft rock, glam rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock and punk rock. (Just try to keep the volume down).
Just wondering if Opalite, Pearls and Opals would be safe to use. might be getting a new axie and want to give it a seperate tank before introducing it. I read that axies love shiny things, so would you let me know? [on if this is a myth and how safe these rocks are. my current axies love the bit of shiny jade i put in their tank, so i'm assuming it's true?]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!