Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Effectiveness of Fans

stellaxtine

Reaction score
Just how effective are fans for bringing the temp down in your tanks? What is the max temp drop?

I don't currently have an axolotl and I am dying to get my hands on one but I can't even decide if it would be humane because of how hot it gets where I live. It gets up to 120F / 49C in the summer. I do have an AC and I set it at 78F / 25C once summer hits. If I did have an axolotl, it would be in a 20 gallon tank with 3 sides and bottom insulated. How cool would the water even be at that point?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Insulation will help to keep the temperature down, and the air con will do wonders. In my experience a fan alone will drop it about 3-5 degrees, depending on the size of the fan in relation to the size of the tank. Temps get similar where I live and I found it wasn't enough, though I do not have air con so it was a real struggle. With air con, a fan and insulation it may be enough. If it isn't I would highly recommend a chiller. They are pricey but since you don't have an axolotl yet you can wait around for sales.

abiwankenobi

Reaction score
I find using fans extremely effective, and I live in FL. For my 40 Breeder axolotl tank, I bought egg crate from home depot and cut it to size to use as an open-face "lid" of sorts for the tank. I have a fan sitting on top of it right now blowing on the surface of the water. Before adding the fan, the water was at 69F, and after an entire day with the fan on, it lowered to 62F. So that's a 7 degree difference right there. It's worth noting that we keep our house at around 69 all day long, so YMMV.

catlemon

Reaction score
How noisy is a fan?

I'd like to also ask this question. I am trying to decide on what to do for my babies. Their energy and eating habits have very noticeably changed since the winter, so I have a suspicion it's the heat. My tank is at 71.4 degrees right now, and it's only April. I think the air conditioner will keep it around there even in the summer, but I'm just so worried that the temperature is stressing them.

How loud are fans? And would they bring down the temperature enough?

I have my eye on a chiller, but what else do you need to make them work?

Thank you so much for helping!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I got a cheap fan on ebay and it wasn't very loud. Though I did drop it in the tank once and ever since it's been extremely noisy lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1