Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild (Part VI)

TJ

Reaction score
I made it out to the western hills of Tokyo again today and got some shots of C. pyrrhogaster and habitats.

I'll start with these:

34903.jpg

34904.jpg

F

foster

Those are nice pics Tim. I spent a month in Japan back in 99, a few days in Tokyo but mostly down in Kummomato (gosh I hope that is spelled correctly). Anyway, it was December and fairly cold. I went out often looking for whatever I could find but the only herp that I ever turned up was an aquatic frog with a flattened, shovel like snout. Keep the pics coming.
Chip

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Foster. You must be referring to Kumamoto on Kyushu Island. Should be plenty of amphibians there --it's just a matter of finding them. I pretty much rely on help from people who know better, as in this case
biggrin.gif

Most of the C. pyrrhogaster we saw were originally under leaves in the stream, though they occasionally rise to the surface for gulps of air.

34947.jpg

34948.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Only males were found (with the possible exception of one aquatic juvenile that went unsexed). All of the adults had swollen cloaca and tail sheens.

34951.jpg

J

john

Awesome pics man. I love when you post your findings. Thx. Keep um coming.

TJ

Reaction score
Sharing this habitat was Rana ornativentris:

35008.jpg

35009.jpg

35010.jpg

35011.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
And Rana japonica:

35019.jpg

I'm told one can tell this species apart from Rana ornativentris by looking at the dorsal ridges, which are generally straight up the back and over the head with the former while they are crooked with the latter, curcing to the right before taking a left over the eye socket with
wink.gif

35020.jpg
35021.jpg

There was a Rana rugosa there as well but it hopped away before I could snap a pic of it. Also present were Rhacophorus schlegelii eggs, though I didn't get a photo of them either.

For more pics on Japanese anurans, see:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/24791/17986.html

(Message edited by TJ on April 26, 2005)

TJ

Reaction score
And finally, a pair of Hynobius tokyoensis egg sacs:

35024.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on April 25, 2005)

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks, Joeri. I should be getting out to a more distant prefecture early next month so we'll see. I managed this here outing on a workday, believe it or not
lol.gif

This was the first time I have ever seen a juvenile like this in the water:

35028.jpg

35029.jpg

<font size="-1">John, yes, I'm a Tokyo resident as in my brief profile in the lefthand column.
And if you click on a person's name, you can see their (sometimes) more detailed profile
wink.gif

</font>

TJ

Reaction score
The Kanto race C. pyrrhogaster are recognizable partly by the thick, paddle-like tails of the males, which don't taper off to the same extent as with other races:

35032.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on April 25, 2005)

J

john

Tim, are you a biologist or herpologist by chance? I always wanted to be one or the other, but I have neither the time nor the money to accomplish it, so it has become my hobby.

A

ammar

<u>man that is awsome tim did u keep those newts and that frog o and that tadpoles the tadpoles r just sweat
</u>

TJ

Reaction score
Hi John, I'm neither, just an amateur enthusiast and budding naturalist like most of us here.

Hi Ammar. No, I wouldn't have had the space or the time to care for them properly, and more importantly, C. pyrrhogaster is very, very scarce now in the area around Tokyo due mainly to habitat loss, so taking these from the wild would only have worsened an already serious problem.

The frog photographed together with the newt was caught by some kid -- who hopefully released both as his dad said he would. There sure were tadpoles galore there, but no, frogs are not really my thing -- though I've raised tadpoles of one isolated group of Bufo japonicus for re-release as morphs on two occasions in the last two years:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/24791/12926.html?1084854637

...and intend to make this an annual thing
biggrin.gif

A

ammar

hey tim those r really cool tads well u guys get alot of reptiles and anphibians in tokyo the reptiles and anphibians we get over here in canada r garden snakes green and leoperd frogs north american comen toadsand and little salamanders lol and ya i have breed frogs in the past ive succesfully morpghed 2o leoperd frog tadpoles but your better than me in morghing 2 how did u manage 2 morgh 80 tads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1