Captive plethodontids in Britain

Wow. Termites are illegal. Is it because they don't live there. That could lead to introducing a species.

yeah, non native and potentially destructive. willl kee you all informed[snow has pushed delivery to wednesday

Right, here is a photobucket link to a photograph of the enclosure I have set up.
url]

(apologies admin for posting a link-i believe i was reprimanded for this before, but I notice many people are posting links-this is a big photograph whcih I dont think the caudata user will take)

Hi sam, if you do see bolitoglossa, please don't be tempted to get some as they never survive long in captivity, and buying them will only make people get more from the wild.

Ive heard they were a tricky one to keep... do none of our herptologically gifted friends from the continent manage to sustain them?

Thanks cameron! How does this compare with their habitat? I hear they are rather variable in where they make their home-even colonising urban areas...

I found a southern redback under a log in the ground about two hours ago. I should get pics of my backyard for you. There are tons out here.

I think it is very similar though.

Hi Sam, as far as i'm aware, none have been kept for very long periods of time. Some have been kept for a year or two in set-ups that near match their specific requirements, but still they never thrive.

Right, thanks William- i will put these on the red list and avoid at all costs!

Do you think the tank is suitable William?

I have a colony of around twenty-five and I feed them all. It's not always that easy to feed all of them during winter when I am short on termites.

I do know that there have been people able to successfully breed them but many are outside exhibits that are exposed to weather changes.

well, they arrived today-gorgeous creatures! would post pictures, but they are too big for this site and decreasing size would decrease quality. There are some pics up on my website though.
How often should i feed the pleths? daily? Two small feeds a day?

Looks marvelous. I checked mine yesterday and I think I may have a gravid female. I do have more males than females.

What is your website address. I can't access it.

Heres a sort of bad pic of one of my leadback forms:
url]

Hehe...They move pretty fast so I can't get pretty good pics of them.

my website address should be on my profile, if not i shall PM it to you (not sure we are allowed to post external links)

Hi Sam, sorry for not replying for a few days! the set up looks perfect for your pleths. Do you know what species it is?

PLethodon cinereus i believe. They are doing well-i only ever see at the most two at one time, but theres plenty of food for them and they are looking healthy.

They look real good. Thanx for the link to the site too. It also looks great!
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back