Anyone keep Eurycea bislineata?

D

dawn

Well, my subject line pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if anyone even keeps these. I posted a picture on the Pictures subforum of one as a mystery salamander that someone gave me.

I have their very close cousins. The female is full of eggs right now. They are almost identical salamanders. Eurycea cirrigera. The Southern Two-Lined Salamanders.

url]

url]

url]

I have a group of ten animals.

Nice pictures! Yeah, that looks exactly like Mystrey (that's what I named it since I didn't know what it was)!
Wiggly little guys, aren't they? What kind of a set up do you have? I keep mine in a tank with a marbled salamander; they never interact. Part of the tank is wetter than the rest. It always just stays under one of the moist rocks, or sometimes it goes in a small bowl in which I keep blackworms. That's probably all it eats, though I sometimes let some crickets and flightless fruit flies loose in there. It looks like you have some ground ivy growing in there? My tank doesn't get enough light to support plants. I figure those salamanders don't much care for light anyway. To be honest, though it's not any trouble, it's about as fulfilling keeping it as keeping a hermit crab; the only time I ever see it move is when I check to make sure it's alive, and then I have to hunt around the tank for it.

They are tamed easily and learn to beg for food. I absolutely loving feeding them underwater. They strike at tubifex worms viciously off the enforcers. I feed them baby earthworms, tubifex worms, and termites in which they strike their tongues' at. Be warned they can be professional escape artist. Blackworms and fruit flies will do fine. One of my females died mysteriously while she was full of eggs. (about three days ago) My other female has eggs too and I have two other males. They like moving water but need a land area with a place to hide under.they are usually hiding alot and some are more aquatic than others. Even though yours is the Northern Two-Lined they are pretty much the same when it comes to attitude and likings. I don't have a pic of the tank right now but can show you later.

Will get a photo soon.

Cheers

Also the pics of it in the photo gallery are very specific. I am very sure that your "Mystery" is a boy.

Heres some pics. The one of the container is sort of bad though. The female is on the sand. The male in the water.

url]

url]

url]

url]

Yeah, Mystrey looks almost exactly like them. I like your set up. I'm going to be moving him to another tank soon because I'm getting some other salamanders. I've never seen them in the wild, so I wouldn't be able to get him a companion. I'm also curious what makes you think it's a male?

Yeah, Mystrey looks almost exactly like them. I like your set up. I'm going to be moving him to another tank soon because I'm getting some other salamanders. I've never seen them in the wild, so I wouldn't be able to get him a companion. I'm also curious what makes you think it's a male?

Well...his head shape. Males have much broader heads. They have bigger jaw muscles too.

Also during breeding season They have nasolabial grooves drooping down over the nostrils. The front teeth grow big and cut through the lower mouth and you can feel them alot of the time.

That is so cute, the little vampire newt.
I don't know why that last post of mine appeared twice. I only typed it once.

Maybe just an error or the post button was pressed twice.

Mine still have the grooves so if yours does it is a definate male but even if it doesn't it may still be a male.

(Message edited by slimy on January 28, 2007)

I think since he just morphed this year he might be too young to develop any sexual characteristics like that. Maybe next year, though. I put some more pics up of him on the other thread in the pictures subforum.

The pictures were most helpful. Congrats on your newly identified Northern Two-Lined Salamander.

Cheers!

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking for the species account on this one, though I've read all the accounts on the other species I have! I hope he'll like the celibate life because I don't see any companions in his future. Maybe I'll change his name from Mystrey to Ministry and he can become a priest.

Now all he needs is a toy church to hide in. You'll always know where he is now. Inside the toy church praying that you won't pick him up again any time soon.
lol.gif

Cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back