Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alligator Newts

Newtist

Reaction score
Can someone help me out?

I occasionally see Echinotriton andersoni for sale, but they're listed "endangered" on IUCN redlist. Is it legal (in the US) to purchase these newts or do you need a permit?

Thanks!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the seller is in another country, then it is NOT legal, unless you and they have some complicated CITES permits in place. If the seller is in another state in the USA, it's technically illegal to SELL them, but legal to give them away or move them between states. If the seller is in your own state, they can be legally sold.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
IUCN website says they have no CITES listing. IUCN rankings have no legal standing in terms of border crossings or trade unless a country (or a group of countries like CITES) protects them. USFWS doesn't list them as endagered either, so they would be legal to sell unless I missed something. CITES (if they were listed) doesn't impact interstate commerce, only international.

Whether or not the original animals were acquired by legal means is an entirely different story though.

Please correct me if I am wrong here though, I don't know the specifics as they pertain to Echinotriton.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Echinotriton is illegal to possess in some states [eg. Washington], but is not federally or internationally protected. It is not governed at this time by CITES, although E.chinhaiensis should be. E.andersoni can be obtained from wholesalers in Japan in small and fairly pricey numbers, as well as from sources outside Japan. They are captive bred in various countries, but not in great numbers. As mentioned, IUCN status is legally meaningless on its own. Some jurisdictions may specifically reference IUCN listings in their laws, but I don't know of any examples.

Newtist

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt responses folks. It seems that any law pertaining to this species is nebulous at best. I'll likely just inquire about animal origins when purchasing and go from there.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It seems that any law pertaining to this species is nebulous at best.

Not really. Since IUCN does not make laws, in most cases you just have to check your local and state laws to see if the taxon is included. In Washington, they're clearly prohibited [enforcement and interpretation are different matters unfortunately]. Elsewhere they're usually not mentioned and not lumped into major prohibited groups. In terms of USA Lacey Act or Canada WAPPRIITA, the exporter is responsible for adhering to his national and state laws, and at the importing end there isn't much that either you or the authorities can do to check or ensure that export laws are in place or followed. Exceptions to that are from the USA to Canada - Canada Customs is aware of the US requirement for 3-177 and inspection on all wildlife, and will check for that. CITES is also an exception, since CITES applies to virtually all countries. Echinotriton aren't covered by CITES, making this irrelevant.

If you want clear laws as of this minute - check your state laws, and if legal, order from wherever you wish. Don't smuggle and don't fly from Japan or China with crocodile salamanders and you shouldn't have to worry about proving legal export. Legalities will be essentially crystal clear.

Newtist

Reaction score
Thanks for helping to clear that up Frogeyes.

Has anyone here kept this species before? I've done a lot of research on the natural history of the species and feel pretty confident that they would thrive under my care. But I'm always looking for tips and tricks to make note of!

Thanks,

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoops, my answer was wrong. I assumed that IUCN endangered was equal to CITES. My bad.

I've heard of a couple of captive breedings of Echinotriton, but it's rare. I have the impression that they are similar to Tylototriton, in terms of the difficulty (or simplicity) of care and breeding. Very few hobbyists have them, and even fewer come up with the right conditions to breed them, so it's pretty unlikely we'll see any offspring offered.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I know of several successfull breedings in europe,ive kept this species .I also picked up tips from previous posts and help from foster reeves.Their care is very similar to Tylo wenxianensis.Ive posted photos of my animals on here already

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1